After watching the latest Resident Evil movie as well as considering it the greatest horror movie of this entire year. I decided to watch another Resident Evil movie, though, not the Paul W.S. Anderson film, GEORGE A. ROMERO'S RESIDENT EVIL. Yeah, apparently George A Romero was hired to write and direct Resident Evil, unfortunately studios and legends have different ways in terms of control.
Filmmaker George A. Romero redefines the Zombie genre with "Night of the Living Dead," but his vision for an adaption of the video game "Resident Evil" was never realized.
Like most documentaries you get to know a lot about the gaming franchise of Resident Evil as well as George A. Romero's film career and strangely enough there's a ton of films in George A. Romero's filmography that I didn't realized he directed such films like the Crazies hell even, I didn't know that was even an original movie to begin with. Though this documentary goes to great lengths of telling the story of how George got involved with Resident Evil such as directing a commercial to the second installment and especially getting involved with Constantin Films a German movie studio that bought the rights to the games of Resident Evil at the time were still making their third installment (though I could be wrong), now I haven't read George A. Romero's script for Resident Evil but having watched Paul W.S. Anderson's version I would most certainly preferred Romero's. Although this was during the early days of Hollywood studio system not knowing how to adapt these video games into movies from Street Fighter to Mortal Kombat and even the Super Mario Bros, they have a different viewpoint or want to go at a different direction now from what I've learned Romero's adaption was of course faithful to the games as well as dark story, but Constantin films wanted a different approach for which is convenient and this is an important lesson tip to all up and coming writers, if your planning pitch a video game adaption, you’re going to have a ton of battles to get the film right and at times video game adaptions aren't always a winning battle. If you’re a huge fan of the Resident Evil games as well as a big fan of George A. Romero, then I would highly recommend watching this documentary for the Halloween season and maybe playing some Resident Evil on the side.

No comments:
Post a Comment