Sunday, October 24, 2021

The Last Duel














                               There's no question that Sir Ridley Scott is one of the many directors I look at and consider one of the greatest of all time, but then when his latest film about the last trial by combat in medieval France, and in all fairness I was a bit unsure because this was a movie that was co-written by both Matt Damon and Ben Affleck along with another professional writer Nicole Holofcener. For which is staring Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, and that part I was a bit weary of because I had no idea how I was going to take these guys serious when it comes to a movie like this. Unfortunately, Sir Ridley Scott must have heard me questioning his latest film because I didn't expect to consider this one of the best films of 2021. But in fairness the cast also includes Adam Driver and up and coming actress Jodie Comer who does a fantastic job in the film as well. Now I'm no expert when it comes to filming Trial by Combats but when it comes to this movie Ridley just made the Game of Thrones creators look like a bunch of amateurs when it comes to making it epic.
                               Jean de Carrouges (Matt Damon) is a respected knight known for his bravery and skill on the battlefield. Jacques Le Gris (Adam Driver) is a squire whose intelligence and eloquence makes him one of the most admirable nobles in court. When Le Gris viciously assaults Carrouges wife (Jodie Comer), she steps forward to accuse her attacker, an act of bravery and defiance that puts her life in jeopardy. The ensuring trial by combat, a grueling duel to the death, places the fate of all three in God's hands.
                               In a year or decade where it’s nothing but Superhero films, lazy written rom coms, or remaking classics from the past. It's really nice to go to a well, a mediocre (though sh*thole) theater and watch in epic movie like this and I'm honestly am not lying for that fact because without a doubt with all that's been happening it did feel nice to see something that was in the grand scale of epicenes that took me on the edge of my seat. And, sure the bromance of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are in the writing but they at least have a real writer Nicole Holofcener, but it’s really Ridley Scott's direction, that makes the film amazing, his vision of being able to make a story based on true events and turn it as real as possible is what makes this hands down the best film of 2021. In all honesty it’s been close to seven years since Scott made a period piece or biblical movie, though Exodus: Gods and Kings was a decent movie the big difference I would say with this movie is that it's a story that I believe everyone can relate to, and sure you can say I'm over exaggerating but in all truthfulness, Medieval France and today's world is no similarities with only a slight difference it’s not a man's world anymore. And what Scott does great in this film is the hard truth you would see in Medieval France and that it’s not a great place to live unless you’re a Nobleman or a Knight and especially when it comes to women it's not all glitz and glamour life when it comes to marriage, and Sir Ridley does a fantastic job in showing you that trait. I will admit I was a bit weary when it came to Matt Damon and Ben Affleck staring in the movie, but the way I see it in terms of what makes the film amazing is that Ridley does a fantastic job in bringing out the most in his actors, especially Matt Damon because despite my unsureness about him I do remember seeing a preview where Damon shouts "CONFESS" I was like oh wow, Matt Damon's coming out to play and to be honest Damon does a great job playing a Knight whose bit of a hypocrite but a man who will do anything to protect is wife. Now when it comes Affleck I don't think Scott needed to do much with him because Affleck does a great job playing a scumbag and the scenes that he's in I could imagine he does that in real life moreover could imagine he gives JLO a baby he'd be in the hospital saying to her "well good luck having the baby Hun I going to have in orgy with Adam Driver". Jodie Comer is really the greatest part of the whole movie, she's really the anchor of the entire cast for many reasons this was her story throughout the entire movie, and sure the movie is told through perspectives but her characters story is the most truth when you get to her side of the story especially in scenes where she's tragically attacked that was some powerful acting on her part and even when people don't believe her, or trying to hold her own about the risks she might endure if she loses, Jodie does an amazing job holding her ground and I hope she gets nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars. Adam Driver I have to say does a great job playing the antagonist in the movie but I also praise the guy who plays the attacker to Jodie's character because that's really the hardest thing to portray on film because I don't think any actor wants to do something that evil, and I have to give him praise for having to convince everyone on film furthermore I can't wait to see him coming back for Ridley's next film House of Gucci because he's doing some great work after his Star Wars gig. There were a lot of battle sequences but I have to say the Trial by Combat sequence is hands down the best thing I've ever seen in movie theaters because its honestly two trained knights in medieval Iron Man armor swinging anything they got their hands on, and I was just amazed in terms of two men wearing heavily plated armor and you can barely move around nor strike a perfect blow on your enemy and I still can't get over how well choreographed and well filmed that sequence was furthermore I have to say that fight sequence is up there in the best Ridley Scott fights I've seen in years. There hasn't been a lot of movies this year that peaked my interest especially last year and coming up with the final years but hands down the Last Duel was no doubt the best movie I've seen this whole year moreover felt great to watch a movie that wasn't a superhero film or remake, so that felt really great in seeing this great film especially in the movie theaters. So in short, if you’re looking for something new and different I would suggest picking this week to go see it, if it's at your local theater, but I would make it a date night don't take your kids to see this because their obviously not ready for the themes to this story. 
          
                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment