Monday, September 21, 2026

Uncle Buck

 













 
              Just browsing through my Netflix account finding at least something to watch in terms of movies I've not seen. And after a huge success with watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I figured I give another John Hughes film a chance to watch or rewatch, granted Uncle Buck use to air on the Disney Channel back when they weren't an evil Empire of today and so, deep down I've seen bits and pieces but I haven't really seen all of the film until now.
              When Cindy (Elaine Bromka) and her husband, Bob (Garrett M. Brown), must leave town for a family emergency, there is only one person available to babysit for their three kids: Bob's lazy, carefree brother, Buck (John Candy). While he immediately gets along with the two younger children (Gaby Hoffman, Macaulay Culkin), Buck must change his bachelor lifestyle if he wants to be a responsible caregiver for the angst-filled teenager, Tia (Jean Louisa Kelly. 
              At first I'm not going to lie that this film does have some sluggish moments in terms of sure this could be funny but not ha-ha funny, and at times I felt like the car and his life style is almost like he's living in some sort of trash apartment and sure the fact that he's living next to Wrigley Field is pretty funny but at the time of the film’s release this Cubs were already trash to begin with so, not a whole lot of ha-ha moments, I mean if you’re at least going to make a film set in Chicago in the 80's or late 80's to 90's you can at least show the Chicago Bulls or John Candy wearing a Michael Jordan jersey at least because if your showing a bachelor character and he's a slob as well as wearing an old worn down Ernie Banks jersey, it kind of loses it hilariousness I mean Hughes was a popular director at the time he couldn't at least have a cameo appearance with Candy and Harry Carey at a bar or at a bowling alley because they film at a bowling alley either way there's a million things you could do but really when you have moments of a character living a slob lifestyle and the joke is he's living next to Wrigley Field it just doesn't seem funny at all, and that's all I'm saying. With all the jokes about his car and lifestyle a side this film does have some heartwarming moments and when we get to the midst of both the second and third act, you do see Candy being more responsible and getting along with the kids as well as putting his foot down and telling the teenager no at times and it shows that of all the bachelor lifestyle he has he's trying to improve himself and especially with his girlfriend aka Amy Madigan aka Annie from Field of Dreams and through the course of the movie it does become a heartwarming story for which there is a plus side to Uncle Buck other than the mediocre comedy a side and I think that both of Hughes films in which he directs he at least shows some sense of warmth and care but in all fairness Ferris Bueller is much better comedy than Uncle Buck if I had to rank these films. I would most certainly recommend Uncle Buck if you’re a big fan of the late John Candy and love most of his films or a 49er's fan then I would highly recommend watching Uncle Buck on Netflix. 
         

No comments:

Post a Comment