Wednesday, September 30, 2026

30th Anniversary of Muppet Treasure Island
















             Another film in the Tim Curry remembrance is Muppet Treasure Island. Now, when you think of Muppets you think of them as the rock stars of old when it comes to childhood memories especially in media, and like Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island was another film that I also remember growing up and watching from elementary school years. Moreover, I thought about which movie to use in the monthly recommendation and since I realized that Muppet Treasure Island has reached its 30th birthday then I must make this a special one right?
              A reworking of Robert Louis Stevenson's classic tale in which The Muppets take to the high seas in search of buried treasures. Young Jim Hawkins is given a treasure map by a mysterious sailor and sets sail with his friends the Great Gonzo and Rizzo the Rat. Among the crew is a mutinous sea dog Long John Silver (Tim Curry), who has his own plans for the loot. 
              After the success of A Muppet Christmas Carol, Disney Studios at that time decided that the next Muppets film would be adapting another classic tale for the next Muppet film, co-writer claimed that the only two tales he had in mind were either Treasure Island or King Arthur. Originally Gonzo and Rizzo were to play Jim and Hawkins, but the studios were nervous about not holding the emotional heart of the movie so, Thatcher just stuck with a human character to play Jim Hawkins and Gonzo and Rizzo to be his companions. A fun fact about the film Frank Oz couldn’t help with the puppeteers with his directorial career, and so, he later provided the voices of the characters while Kevin Clash helped with the Muppets. Brian Henson (son of Jim Henson as well as director of the film) was a big fan of Tim Curry and said that he should be the right actor for Long John Silver, and even Tim Curry wanted to sign on for the movie because he was also a big fan of the Muppets as well, for which explains why this movie is a classic. Unlike Tim Curry's scheming villainous role in the Three Musketeers, this film shows a lot more compassion for Jim Hawkins, furthermore, provides a father and son type of scenes between Silver and Hawkins for which has that great flair almost like a family film of Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker in a very strange way. I do love Curry's performance in the film just because he's of course having fun with the Muppets but has that great sense of humor of being able to manipulate the Muppets, especially in the scene where they tie him up and give him the black spot from a page of the bible for which is the joke but the way he's able to deliver his lines on screen brings a huge smile to my face. And even when you have that great moment with Kermit and Miss Piggy and Kermit holds Piggy from falling we see his eyes bulge and it's funny but you feel for Kermit and when you mind feels bad for a Muppet than it becomes funny and not just Tim Curry stealing the show but Kermit and his fencing fight with Curry and again it's just so, funny you can't stop but chuckle at that and it just brings back so great memories when these films we're amazing during my childhood, and a year after that the release of Star Wars Trilogy, Special Edition came out for again that's what made the 90's such a great decade. Like sure any of Tim Curry's past films are memorable from Rocky Horror Picture Show to Stephan King's It but, nothing special about them and to me Musketeer's and Muppet Treasure Island are so fun and great comedic moments that you can't help but love it from beginning to the very end. So, if you’re a fan of the Muppets I would highly recommend watching Muppet Treasure Island on Disney Plus and like A Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island is going to be traditional movie for I don't know when but I might watch again and again or maybe when I'm tired and bummed from work I'll put on Muppet Treasure Island although maybe in the summer movie season either way watching this movie again I really want to watch the film again until I'm tired of watching it, though I don't want to overdo it it's like having your favorite pizza and don't want to eat it again if you know what I mean. 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment