Trying to find some laid back films mostly realizing August is a back to school special in about a couple of weeks from now and I was trying to find some movies to watch and after celebrating my brother's birthday with watching The Big Lebowski (Coen Bro's Classic), and to be fair I was just browsing around my Peacock account and saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I figured, well what the hell this is another one of those iconic films that I haven't had the interest to watch at the time and decided to give this movie a chance and yet thought this was the most amusing movie I've ever seen.
Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick) has an uncanny skill at cutting classes and getting away with it. Intending to make one last duck-out before graduation, Ferris calls in sick, "borrows" a Ferrari, and embarks on a one-day journey through the streets of Chicago. On Ferris' trail is high school principal Rooney (Jeffery Jones), determined to catch him in the act.
I think back on the last John Hughes movie I've seen, was back in high school with my Godparents group, and it was The Breakfast Club and I just wasn't all that interested in the movie basically I was a high school kid who wasn't all interested in high school drama because I was dealing with my own high school drama, hell it's the reasons why I was a hardcore fan of Linkin Park and Evanescence. Watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off for the first time I was actually intrigued of how Matthew Broderick's is able to get away with some of these gimmicks he creates, like it's almost if Ferris Bueller was a serial killer and you take his wacky gimmicks in terms of how he's able to kill his victims that is how I kind of envisioned it if this was a Dexter/John Hughes type of film. All jokes a side I doubt any high school kid now, especially my high school era was able to get away with any of Bueller's gimmicks but it's amusing as well as, loving how charming Broderick's character is through the course of the film and sure he's deceiving in a childish way but he's defiantly one of those kids in High School I would love to hang out, especially if I was in the Chicago area. Hearing that John Hughes was born and raised in Chicago, so of course it makes sense that a good portion of his films are based in Chicago, and claims that writing the movie is a love letter to the city and I would imagine if I made a sort of crime film I would base some of the locations in the Central area of Nebraska. The real scene stealer through the course of the movie and no, it's not Jennifer Grey, it's Alan Ruck who plays Broderick's best friend, and it surprisingly famous for this movie as well as Twister, and TV shows like Spin City and Connor Roy in the HBO hit show Succession. And he has a great character arc of at first being a stickler for rules being worried about everything and then has a come to Jesus realization about how awful is Dad is both great and scary at the same time because it feels like he's having a nervous breakdown and yet finally says F-it and a side from him wearing a Gordie Howe, Red Wings sweater when he's living in the Chicago area but deep down I though Ruck's performance was the best part of the film along with Broderick getting away with anything and rushing back to his house. This film does have me on the edge of how is Bueller able to get away with any of this that you obviously can't do now, because all high school kids including me weren't smart to do any of this, it still put a smile on my face and that's all that matters and now I hope to look into more of John Hughes other films besides the Home Alone films. So, if you have a Peacock account and want to prepare your kids for going back to school, I will highly recommend watching this with your kids as well as enjoying it with them as you go along with their high school years. Though I would tell them to always make good choices and avoid watching any of the High School Musical movies, because that's at least bulls**t in my opinion and this film is at least more steps into the reality realm.

No comments:
Post a Comment