Friday, August 21, 2026

Movies I haven't seen in a While: A Most Violent Year

 















             Doing one last look at the Blu-Ray collection I intend to send over to Goodwill or any thrift store out there. I want to make sure I was making the right choice or better term to see if this would be used for better purposes was A Most Violent Year. And to be truthfully honest I'm making the right choice in sending this movie to exile where all forgotten movies go, I mean who remembers Black Swan by Darren Aronofsky? Anyone, Anybody? Ah hell, what am I even typing about nobody cares.
             In 1981, New York City faces a dangerous year on record. An ambiguous immigrant fights to protect his growing business and family from the city's rampant and corruption.
             If there was one thing I would say is not right about the movie it would most certainly be the title of the film. For which it should be called A Most Boring Year Not a Most Violent Year, because the entire film was a complete bore fest, I mean sure you got to give it a title not something that people can leave or avoid it but the other factor is that I doubt this film was ever in a movie theater. After watching the movie, I had to admit that I don't know why I bought this movie mainly because of Jessica Chastain, and it came out at a local Hastings Bookstore back then when Hastings Bookstore was still a thing, ugh I miss those days. Through the course of the years, I never really got through the whole movie and just left in on my collection for quite some time until now, and there's a good reason as to why I decided to send this movie to a made-up Ark of the Covenant aka Thrift store. I think one of the many, many things that needs to be included in a crime thriller or gangster movie is a shootout scene or at least two or three actions scenes just to keep the movie up, this movie has the record of more talking and making threats and less shoot outs. And in all honesty you could of set this movie in the 90's New York if your wanting to make a character whose moral code is to be an honest business, but if your setting it in the early 80's New York where the entire city was a s**t hole and cops are corrupt as always you have to at least arm your drivers to defend themselves because their obviously their going to be robbed and Oscar Issacs character is still choosing to not defend his drivers or let them be armed because he's trying to make a clean business but let's be brutally honest here oil tycoons are bad but the LEFTIES ARE THE WORST! Which is how this country was found upon isn't it? It started with businessmen building the future and the failed upwards are the ones that b***h and complain about how the conservative or progressive are destroying the environment. And yet for some reason people say that this is one of the greatest movies that came out of A24 Studios and I find that to be insane because this is the most boring film of all time. Moreover, if this is the greatest movie out of A24 why their many plot holes in this movie from Jessica Chastain’s characters background of are being a daughter of a Mafia Boss but we don't even see him or even see her family. More importantly, who were the people that stole Oscar Issacs oil? I mean, I still don't know who stole his oil other than having to seek help from Google and told me that it was small time crooks not rival gangsters, but the ending didn't make any sense at all, but in all fairness this entire film doesn't make any sense. The movie itself is considered to be a slow burn movie and by definition a slow burn movie is supposed to be more of deep character development and tension or build mystery you know something that would get you focused in the movie, but try telling that to anyone who has ADHD who wants at least some action involved or SOMETHING happening, and A Most Violent Year doesn't have any of that all it has is both Oscar Issacs and Jessica Chastain chewing the scenery and sure, but everyone is still going to be bored watching this until you get to chewing the scenery parts. If you’re a fan of Slow Burners then A Most Violent or Boring Year is the film for you and it's also on HBO Max, but this film is a great example of if you’re going to make a crime drama you have to have at least two or three shootouts involved and tell your protagonist that your living in 80's New York City, the s**tiest city along 80's LA because the Cops and District Attorney are corrupt and will obviously never help you at all. And this movie I must tell everyone to avoid this movie and as of right now is going to be thrown into the ugliest parts of a thrift store.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment