Friday, July 31, 2026

Shaft

 















        After an entire month of watching nothing but John Wayne films, understanding the greatness behind Sir Christopher Nolan, knocking off some movies on my brothers list, as well as finding an epic 90's film that nobody knows exists. I decided in my own right to finally sit down and watch a something dumb but has action as well as entertainment, and through the course of finding the right one to watch Samuel L. Jacksons first debut of the so-called remake or sequel to Shaft? Although this film franchise doesn't make any sense due to its 2019 version but will get to that later.
        Crooked cops on the take -- small-time drug lords -- sleazy informers and sadistic rich kids ready to kill -- for police detective John Shaft (Samuel L. Jackson), it's just another night in the underbelly of New York City, another shift facing down cops and criminals who want him dead and a legal system that thrives on money, not justice. 
         It was around the year 2000 era and to be truthfully honest I didn't have a full lot of interest in terms of wanting to see this movie I guess at my young age I found it ridiculous at times and through the course of its twenty-six years of existence I've had no interest in watching it until I bought the movie a couple of years ago on my phone and decided in my own right to finally watch it and truthfully if your craving for a late 90's or early 2000's cop action film Shaft as it all. And even in scenes where they have the theme song and Issacs Hayes is singing in the background aka Chef from South Park, I was hoping he sing more "I want to make love to you woman" although this is all about Shaft so, can't always get what you want in life. I will say in terms of a cop movie there's not a whole lot to say when it comes to Sam Jackson playing the lead detective in these kinds of movies, I mean if you haven't seen the Negotiator, you'd realize how perfect of a cop who’s distraught about the system is and takes the law into his own hands, hell Jackson is perfect from start to finish. The other thing that's great is that you have up and coming actor Christian Bale playing a snobbish psycho killer in the film as well as a surprisingly great drug dealer in Jeffery Wright aka Felix Leiter who does a great job playing a black Latino drug dealer and sometimes you'd imagine a mediocre performance where the actor is playing an over the top performance but strangely enough Wright does a great Latina accent for his character and is a great equal to Sam Jackson's Shaft. I will say in the realm of cop movies the 90's and 2000's era of action movies where the best especially when you set them in New York City, and so, if you’re looking for some mindless action movie, entertainment I would highly recommend watching it from start to finish and the best part it's only 99 minutes of length so, you can't beat that type of length. So, if you have Pluto TV or purchased it on your phone or rent the movie on your phone, then I would highly recommend watching this entertaining action film if you want to get your mindless action urge turn on full throttle then I'd say go nut's buddy.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment