Thursday, July 27, 2023

July Recommendation: Jaws

 











                                       The weekend of July 21st through July 22nd was without a doubt one of the best weekends of movie watching for me. First it was going to Oppenheimer in the theaters which was a blast from start to finish then on a Saturday I decided to take my Mom and my Dad to go see the one movie that made Steven Spielberg a house hold name, Jaws for which was being seen at the local IMAX in my hometown of Hastings, Nebraska and when I first heard that Jaws was being premiered I was like "Mom, Dad we're going to see Jaws" and no doubt it's been a while for them seeing the film moreover the same goes to me. Though here's the thing, I remember watching Jaws. I know how the movie begins and ends but I am not going to lie this was the first time ever that I was terrified by a mechanical shark. Though either way I had a movie worthy of a July Recommendation but that whole IMAX experience of Jaws was without a doubt worthy of a Recommendation in the month of July. 
                                       When a young woman is killed by a shark, police chief Martin Brody (Roy Scheider) wants to close the beaches, but mayor Larry Vaughn (Murray Hamilton) overrules him, fearing that the loss of tourist’s revenue will cripple the town. Ichthyologist Matt Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss) and a grizzled ship captain Quint (Robert Shaw) offer to help Brody capture the killer beast, and the trio engage in an epic battle of man vs. nature. 
                                       Now I'll say this again in case I haven't, I have been familiar with Jaws ever since I've been collecting movies and DVD's or Blu-Ray's. So, after watching the Indiana Jones Trilogy growing up, I wanted to experience more of George Lucas's films though more of Star Wars, but I also wanted to experience more of Steven Spielberg's films and that's were Jaws came in, during a teen growing up it was really all about George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, so I was watching a good portion of their films including Jaws. So, yes, I've seen Jaws. I’ve watched it a bunch of times and know how the story begins and how the shark dies, but granted it's been quite a long time since I've sat down and watched Jaws from start to finish. So, deep down I never knew what I was going to expect when watching Jaws at the IMAX, but there is a huge difference between watching the film at you're home screen and watching it at the IMAX theater, home TV you just love it for the acting and the suspense but the IMAX theater you begin to realize how scary the mechanical shark really is and it isn't just the shark but it was also the little details that I somewhat ignore when you watch it on home video, but then you really get to see how terrifying it was to see from the missing dog and even watching the kid get attack is just terrifying that the way they shot it just became scary for me. The fact that this film only cost nine million dollars to make is even more interesting, because the big bucks came with developing the shark and finding the town but also had to deal with finding the right cast and sure finding Richard Dreyfuss was easy because two years before he was in Lucas's small film American Graffiti but like legendary actors like Roy Scheider and Robert Shaw, and even Shaw wasn't sure of excepting the role because he didn't like the book but was persuade by his wife, which shows that listening to your wife is always a wise advice to have. Both Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss are both great actors in the movie and they both have such great chemistry one's the so called nerd and one whose the cop seeking advice from Dreyfuss's character who knows more but have's a better opinion, and again they both are great but Robert Shaw hands down steals the whole movie, I mean he does such a tremendous job playing a fisherman who knows he's an outsider but knows that he can catch the shark moreover is confident furthermore like a mad caption who will stop at nothing to kill the shark, and really what makes Shaw so great is his tremendous monologue of how he survived the demise of the U.S.S Indianapolis and the thing I found fascinating was that Shaw was a real life playwright at the time and he took what Carl Gottieb and Peter Brenchley's screenplay and make a memorable story that provides great horror and how soldiers survived the waters after being sunk by Japanese submarines, for which includes shark infested waters and the way he describes it is just terrifying and more importantly Spielberg is focusing on Shaw's face and he's painting an image of what happened through words. Even Dreyfuss in that scene admits that he wasn't even acting at that point he was just in awe of Shaw's acting in that one scene. The way Spielberg was able to film the third act of the film is just great film making at its finest because it's simply just three men in one boat with nothing but water and one shark which is a battle of wits between man and shark and who was going to crack, because when you watch it both of these men are getting on each other's nerves and it feels like it's going a to be a terrifying span of madness along with the isolation for which reminds me a lot about my time when I was stuck in my apartment three years ago, and especially when the shark finally reveals itself is just scary but pure genius as well especially when the shark tears up the boat then it gets even more suspenseful till the final showdown and how Spielberg was able to pull that off is just amazing. Without a doubt Jaws is the GOAT of all Shark films out there, and the fact that they more sequels is just obscured like you had great talents of directors coming out in the late seventies is just why of all things you needed to make more movies after Jaws, I mean Universal Studio's must of really been desperate in terms of money because sure some of the movies Universal released but I guess nothing compared to the original Jaws. Going to Jaws at the IMAX was defiantly the greatest call I've ever made moreover worthy of a July recommendation because it's been a long time since I've seen it and IMAX really makes a difference when it comes to being terrified on screen then on home television. So, if you haven't seen Jaws in a long time then I would highly recommend watching Jaws because you'll experience some of these little details that I can't describe but you defiantly will have a great experience reliving this 48-year-old horror treasure.

                                            




No comments:

Post a Comment