Thursday, July 20, 2023

White Men Can't Jump (2023)

 














                                   So, after watching the original White Men can't Jump for which lead to a complicated view in terms of how I felt about the movie. I decided to watch the remake of White Men can't Jump, for many reasons I screened the film early while looking after a client for my brother, though thinking it wasn't that bad even though I watched bits and pieces of it I decided to give this movie a chance. And as strange as everyone will say that this movie obviously suck, but I really didn't think this movie was bad at all, for many other reasons I look back on watching the original movie having some in depth views on what I liked about the movie and what I didn't like about the movie and with this movie alone there's probably one thing they did right about the movie and maybe somethings they got wrong with the movie but let's be honest the original film I had mixed feelings by the end of the movie.
                                    Like the original film, though it centers around two men from opposites sides of the ball both men whose career paths to a sharp left turn but then decide to play the game they love and to recover a dream each left behind.
                                    Now I'm not saying that the latest version of White Men can't Jump is better than the original, if you're a huge fan of the original I applaud you for liking it. I personally that the story of the 2023 version was way better than the original movie, because the original set things up when I watched the trailer both men are hustlers they decide to work together to get bigger money for a big tournament then they begin to hustle one another through the course of the movie well Wesley Snipes does, which doesn't make sense to me the first time because weren't you guys suppose raise the money for the entry fee? For which yeah the entire message was to not trust another hustler but at least do that by end of the movie for which hell I don't know in all honesty, then you got Woody Harrleson who doesn't learn a lesson then hustles his own money away to Snipes again which again I honestly don't know, especially when you have a girl like Rosie Perez who in that movie to me was a ten out of ten and Harrleson still doesn't learn from his mistakes for which again is fine because deep down the film alone is a definitive bro's before hoes type film, but it's just some of these elements in the story that Shelton portrays that reminds me of Bull Durham where the movie is great from act one to act two then act three is like meh. As, for the remake's story it's very simple, both men who've lost their ways in life and the two of them become friends till the very end and both of them learn there lesson's moreover, guys when you're dating a girl that's a ten out of ten make her happy from the first time you lay eye's on her till the very end because you're never going to find a woman as beautiful as ever. Now in terms of Basketball play the original movie still holds up then the remake although the basketball play in this remake wasn't all bad it was okay, but the original films play was no doubt up there because you believe that Snipes and Harrelson was great players, though I should say Sinqua Walls who plays the Snipes like character does look like a basketball player and plays well in the film. Now to be fair the casting wasn't all bad, though looking at some of the production notes of the film I've learned the casting they we're close to casting basketball star Blake Griffin and NFL player Ryan Kalil, though yeah I don't know if casting an football player to play a basketball player would be a great idea but the idea of casting some basketball stars in this movie, that should of been a good way to approach a remake like White Men can't Jump, like why don't cast some NBA stars in a movie like this? Hell, I would love to see James Harden's acting chop's I mean I loved his performance in a Madden commercial he did moreover there's a ton of white NBA stars in the league so you'll no doubt find some players as well, in which they didn't so it doesn't really matter. Again, comparing each of these films is like a flip of the coin, like are they the best Basketball films combined hell no. Though each of these movies have a much better aspect than the others, each movie is good in their own way. As for a recommendation, I mean go ahead if you're part of the younger generation but for me it's a decent film to watch like a dumb but harmless type film, when your tired from work and want to pop in a film but really, I don't think it, worthy for a definitive recommendation and yet neither is the original movie. Although it is on Hulu, so if you have a subscription to Hulu, it's free to watch so in all fairness that's a win, win. 
   
                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment