Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Tekken

 














                                    A bunch of friends and myself decided to watch a B-movie that I've heard of but never played the game to and yes, this movie is in fact based on a game. Though I do need to explain this much into detail, it was one of those conversations about what was the best fighting game and let's be honest I obliviously said that it was Mortal Kombat no contest, but the other guy says Tekken, and to make this long story short I blurted out that the franchise has a movie adaption for which the guy asks so many questions then proceeds to say that we need to watch it because he wants me and the rest of the guys to see him gripe about how bad the movie is. And to be honest I never played the Tekken games, nor much feel the need to play mainly because I've seen glimpses of it through trailers and it reminds me of Street Fighter now, which looks way to ridiculous sorry not sorry I'm not big into Japanese Anime, hell you're looking at a grown man who thought Pokemon was strange, growing up. Now I'll admit I know nothing of the Tekken franchise or the world but having watched this dumb but harmless movie I mostly dig the movie because it reminds me of Gladiator, Rocky and just a kiss of Hunger Games. For which we have all the time in the world to talk about right now.
                                  In the not-too-distant future, the world wars have destroyed everything, and continents are run by corporations, the mightiest of which is Tekken. Amid the ruin of the ruined society one warrior rises from the streets. 
                                  How I discovered this film is really a mystery of itself, in all truth I think I was first learning from Google movies that I can purchase some movies and shows furthermore started liking Google Phones more I found this movie and in all honesty I didn't expect much from it and realized that it wasn't all that bad as I predict, and this film has a zero percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes for which I find to be insane because I've seen the absolute worst from Uwe Boll's films like Alone in the Dark and BloodRayne to Southland Tales and those were garbage compared to this movie. For which I found strange because I would think that this movie would have a wider release since the game series is so popular until I finally realized that this film was basically a direct-to-video for which basically says that it had a small release maybe two to three theaters and then just went to DVD, and then was just a lost movie. Why I kind of liked the movie or considered it a guilty pleasure is that it does no doubt remind me of movies like Gladiator and Rocky, also has a much better concept than Hunger Games, sadly the film just shot itself in the foot with bird shot pellets and you're hunting friends laughing at you for how stupid you are but complements you for not almost killing someone like Dick Cheney did when he had bird shot in his shotgun. What I like about the movie in truth is that it has the potential of being good and I've said that about other movies before, though this one has that potential of what I could of done better if I made this film, though I have no interest in resurrecting this film but let’s say that I did I would first make this film at least a good two hours max, this film was ninety minutes long and you didn't have any time to get to know the characters nor understand the post-apocalyptic world that is Tekken or if it is? And really this film had a thirty million dollar budget and from the way I see it, they used it a lot on the set design's for which I have no complaint especially when it comes to the arena where the fighting takes place but really you can use a lot of time to establish the characters and the chemistry not just throw them in and say this is the world enjoy and then just run off like you're in trouble. Hell, after watching the film again I'm starting to believe that the writers did some heavy-duty partying and realized they had a deadline for the day after they we're done partying and had to write it as fast as possible and just gave it to the producers and said that was it. The director of the movie Dwight Little had some experience in action genre with movies like Marked for Death with Steven Seagal and Rapid Fire staring Brandon Lee aka Bruce Lee's son, unfortunately when I look at the guys entire career he made a lot of those mainstream films like Halloween 4 and Free Willy 2 that were mostly forgotten, and really for a guy who studied at USC moreover had some experience in Action movies I would imagine that he can give this movie an upgrade but I guess was just cashing a check, which explains a lot because he didn't do anything in terms of establishing character development or understand the world of Tekken moreover yes, you can say that the writer was at fault to but he was also writer of Little's other work so I'm guessing he just read the rough draft and then said it's good I'm going to get this movie made. And again, this movie had a thirty-million-dollar budget so you can defiantly turn this movie into a 90's Mortal Kombat film with great fight sequences and mediocre acting and story. Although, they decided not to do that which makes no sense though let’s be honest the more you think about it the more you go insane so I'm just going to leave it at that. The set design of the whole film was really the best part of the whole movie because it does have that futuristic feel and has that look of what would the world be like if corporations took over the world and devised a gladiatorial tournament because let’s be honest Disney, Apple Microsoft, and Amazon are going to be that very corporations that will consume the world, and that's how the world will crumble. The film was shot in Shreveport, Louisiana which is a surprise to me because the entire movie didn't feel like it was in Louisiana for obvious reasons it looks like it was shot on a stage set. I'll say it again the movie had that potential of being a good unfortunately it just shot itself in the foot and to me that's what I kind of liked about the movie is that you can think to yourself as to what you can do better, now would I recommend everyone else to watch it absolutely not because deep down we all have our own guilty pleasures and this movie I would prefer not to have everyone watch, especially when you have the ladies in leather pants with a** cleavage like their pro wrestlers. As for the video game series of Tekken, I do have the first game downloaded on my PS3 so, I might give the game a try but for the rest I honestly can't because it's just like the new generation of Street Fighter where I can't really accept as awesome furthermore I can just stick to playing the first game after watching the movie whole in all fairness. Now that I've finally watched this film and reviewed it for all of you, I've decided to finally put this movie back in the dirtiest part of my closet.
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment