Friday, July 14, 2023

Movies I haven't seen in a While: Tommy Boy

 















                                        Weekend begins, haven't hung out with my brother in a while so, what better way to have a movie night with him in the kids. Although it was just one kid then left to go home, and the movie my brother picked out was a movie I haven't seen in quite a longtime titled Tommy Boy, starring the late Chris Farley and David Spade. Now, Tommy Boy was no doubt a movie I haven't seen in ages I was a little not sure if I was going to enjoy this movie as I remember growing up and sadly this fun to watch from start to finish, but just wasn't as good as I remember it really felt like you’re going to a family reunion and you just realize that you really don't like your cousins and want to get out of there fast but the problem is you're parents drove you to the reunion and they have the keys to the car. But all aside the movie was kind of a nice breath of fresh air that you can only watch once.
                                       After his beloved father dies, dimwitted Tommy Callahan (Chris Farley) inherits a near-bankrupt automobile parts factory in Sandusky, Ohio. His brand-new stepmother, Beverly (Bo Derek), wants to cash out and close, but Tommy's sentimental attachment to his father's employees spurs him to make one last-ditch effort to find someone who will buy their products. With his father's tightly wound assistant, Richard (David Spade), in tow, Tommy hits the road to scare up some new clients.
                                       Most movies I do remember watching I have very bad memory of like To Kill a Mockingbird or Wild Hearts can't be Broken, and yet Tommy Boy I remember very well, as well as the partial nudity that occurred which yeah sure it's a guy thing but come one who doesn't remember your first time watching a movie that contains partial nude ladies? In truth, this movie wasn't all bad as I remember granted it's not as horrible than watching a Adam Sandler movie, it really has to do with the jokes that go with the film, like if you're a kid in the nineties watching this movie and you we're laughing your butt off of Chris Farley being a deranged maniac of course that was without a doubt the funniest thing because I've always loved watching the hidden camera skit on Saturday Night Live it's always funny just because of the man's reaction in hearing that his coffee was a lie, but him just being an obnoxiously dumb ass it's like I feel like I've seen that so many times moreover that whole story telling of the protagonist being dumb just doesn't seem funny anymore. Both Chris Farley and David Spade, really did an okay job when it comes to on screen chemistry like some of their jokes are on the small chuckle as of funny no doubt and then some of their joke to me are just little on the eh it's not on the funny side more like this joke really haven't aged in a long time. I even found Dan Aykroyd's performance in the movie, really on the lackluster side of it, hell I'm convinced that he just gave up on comedy and it doesn't add up because this movie came out in 95, furthermore after that he starred in Celtic Pride another one of those films that literally shot itself in the balls. I completely forgot that young Rob Lowe was in the movie, which was like a big surprised because I have no memory of seeing Lowe for the first time in the film. In fairness the only jokes I find hilarious is when both Lowe and Spade are mocking Farley in their few scenes when they're acting across Farley because it's literally the truth of Farley's character. I'll give this movie credit that it was simply a breath of fresh air to watch for the first time in ages, the movie alone yes, wasn't as good as I remember it all because the jokes just feel flat but deep down the movie wasn't all bad moreover it wasn't the worst thing I've seen because Adam Sandler still to this day continues to write comedies and yet refuses to become original as well as making new jokes, so there's that at least. The movie itself is a nice watch from start to finish have no complaints, if you’re a kid from the nineties who remember Chris Farley growing up, I would recommend watching it but for warn you that it's not going to be as good as you remember it, though I'd still watch it anyway in case your extremely tired from work.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment