Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Oppenheimer

 












                                         Finally in the entire year of 2023, I got the chance and finally went to the right movie to watch, moreover spent my money in a GOOD way possible. Now, before you say anything or comment or whatever, no I did not go see Barbie so suck on that social media and Hollywood, and I got news for all of you, the women of the world moreover the feminist movement don't need me to go see that movie because after I came out, there was a whole group of women in Pink so, deep down Barbie will be just fine not taking my money. Although if there was one man, I would give all my money too in terms of going to the movie theater it’s without a doubt Christopher Nolan. For which leads us to Nolan's latest movie release Oppenheimer, and of course the movie tells the story of J. Robert Oppenheimer the man who created the ultimate weapon that ended WWII. Staring Cillian Murphy in what might hopefully be the role that finally gives him the Academy Award.
                                        During World War II, Lt. Gen. Leslie Graves Jr. (Matt Damon) appoints physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer (Cillian Murphy) to work on the top-secret Manhattan Project. Oppenheimer and a team of scientists spent years developing and designing the atomic bomb. Their work comes to fruition on July 16th, 1945, as they witness the world's first nuclear explosion, forever changing the course of history. 
                                         Now I believe that if you've read my reviews or some of my taste in films, you should figure out by now that Christopher Nolan was and is one of my few favorite directors of all time, and I'm not going to deny that, hell the man brought back Batman to character he was when it comes to movies. But more importantly even when it comes to the Dark Knight Trilogy combined, he always comes out with something fresh and something new, he isn't like Steven Spielberg who became a sellout after remaking West Side Story though in all fairness the man did kind of lost his way. Though when it comes to Nolan he always comes up with something new and different concepts that I as a lover towards film I have to go and see and sure one out of his three science fiction films granted where a little on the, off center but you can't deny that when it comes to making movies, Nolan is always coming out with something new, I mean when it comes to finding out what his next project is, I'm always looking forward to seeing at the movie theaters. Now, when it comes to the movie alone, honestly, I had no idea what I was going to see especially when it comes to a biopic by Nolan and usually when it comes to biopic's there always simple, telling the life and story of this one person from birth to the man or woman's death. Although when it comes to Oppenheimer it's like something I've never seen, granted I never knew a whole lot about Oppenheimer other then he built the atomic bomb, but what I love about the film is that he really tells it thew first person of Oppenheimer's mind like were experiencing his life story through what he sees in life and the fact that I don't know a whole lot about the father of the atomic bomb even makes the movie better for me. On the other aspect of the film that even I hadn't thought of especially that the Manhattan Project was such a secretive project furthermore the most dangerous weapon ever created that no one would be trusted especially when you have a group of scientists who you may never know if they betray you and go to the enemy more importantly that Oppenheimer was creating a weapon that could have the possibility of ending mankind that's just a whole lot of worried but could also change the course of history. So, in all actuality the movie itself didn't feel like a typical biopic but more of a film that has both espionage and a lot political stabbing in the back, so this was more than your average biopic. Even Nolan wanted to tell this story though Oppenheimer's perspective as he wanted the narrative to be conveyed from his viewpoint and describe the "texture" of the film being "how the personal interacts with the historic and the geopolitical" with the intention of making it a cautionary tale. Moreover, the primary theme to the movie that Nolan wanted to tell is dealing with the consequences of Oppenheimer's actions and I personally believe that's in interesting thing to explore especially when we're telling the story of one of the most brilliant minds in American History. The other thing that he does so well was the direction as well and that's what makes great is that Nolan always collaborates with some great director of photographers, great example Wally Pfister with the Dark Knight Trilogy and Inception, and with his latest collaborator Hoyte van Hoytema whose another great cinematographer moreover this is his fourth collaboration with Nolan and thing I find fascinating with the Nolan/van Hoytema is that every scene looks like a painting and though the course of the movie I just could not take my eyes off of the screen because I'm seeing something beautiful and with such mesmerizing feel to it, that these guys do great work when it comes to these historic films. Another one that needs great recognition is music composer Ludwig Goransson who compose great iconic work when it comes to Star Wars shows like The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett, and really if Nolan can use a musical talent like Goransson and that he did with Tenet you know that the music is going to be spectacular. The cast is simply outstanding moreover hands down one of the best ensembles cast ever assembled on screen, both Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jr. are such great character actors that there's no way that they should both win Academy Awards in the acting category, Emily Blunt and Matt Damon are spectacular as always and the same goes to Florence Pugh who's mysterious and sexy in the movie. But really there's more actors that deserve recognition not just the main cast, and seeing whose in the film it's like Nolan's greatest hits of actors with a bit of surprises that I never expected, but before we get to that Tom Conti who plays Albert Einstein really does such a good job in the movie embodying Einstein in terms of body language and his presence that it's just great casting when it comes to bringing Einstein to life. Josh Hartnett who plays Oppenheimer's collaborators, who I was like "Holy Crap Josh Hartnett"? But there's also Jason Clarke who makes a small appearance as one of the judges who is accusing Murphy, Casey Affleck which I was a surprise to see at first but then there's also Kenneth Branagh who plays one of Murphy's mentors, but the biggest surprise I found out and should get some recognition is Commissioner Gordon himself Gary Oldman who plays Harry S. Truman for which I had no clue till I browse through the Wikipedia page though I did see a strange resemblance of Gary but didn't think much of it, but holy crap Oldman is like the master of disguise I mean it's like he can just make a surprise appearance in almost everything. If there was any minor complaint I can say about the film is probably the overpowering of the music over the dialogue and yes I can understand what's going on and what was said but then there were times I felt like the music was overpowering the dialogue for which was the same problem when it came to Dunkirk, furthermore I have no idea why or what's the problem I mean sure the film was shot in IMAX and maybe regular movie theaters aren't capable to IMAX films either way yes it's a bit of a problem though Nolan should get that fix with his next film. Without a doubt, one of the best films of 2023 and I would highly recommend going to the theaters and experiencing this cinematic masterpiece and hopefully a contender for best picture at the Oscar's. 
                  
                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment