Thursday, April 1, 2021

April Recommendation: The Two Popes

 







                   

                     Despite the fact that today is the first month of April and yes I know its April Fool’s Day but this latest monthly recommendation is absolute no joke to me, since where nearly a few days away Easter I figured I recommend a more Catholic base film. The Two Popes tells the story of Pope Benedict XVI final few years as Pope, and the rise of Pope Francis aka Jorge Mario Bergoglio. Stars Anthony Hopkins and Johnathan Pryce, and I got to say this was a great film to watch from start to finish, but really as a Catholic born myself this was also a breath of fresh air for many reasons in a world that's so chaotic in which we all are living in, it's kind of nice see a film of both great men of the Christian faith who also have a hard life to overcome but they in friendship rise above it all with the help from God. Also, since St. Louis is getting an MLS franchise, I now am going to give a chance into following Soccer myself since our Pope Francis is a big Soccer fan himself.
                      Pope John Paul the Second has died and the time to elect a new Pope, surprisingly Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (Anthony Hopkins) received the most votes while Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio (Johnathan Pryce) received the second most votes, surly enough Ratzinger is elected Pope Benedict XVI. Years later a sandal occurs in the Vatican, moreover Bergoglio plans to retire. Surprisingly, The Pope has summoned Bergoglio to the Vatican. Bergoglio tries to hopefully use this opportunity to announce his retirement, unfortunately the visit between Pope Benedict and Bergoglio takes an unique twist and turn as both men do disagree when it comes to politics on both God and the Church, two men share their stories of how they became God's eyes and their personal struggles in the faith. But in the end became the dearest of friends.
                      After watching this great film, I really learned a lesson no matter how tiring or how depressed you are in life especially when the world is turning into utter chaos, it's really good to turn on a good Christian based film and to take a good breath of fresh air, for the reason's that its really good and healthy to have a good mind on that even people like Pope Francis has difficulties moreover problems during his time in serving God, and what I loved about this film was that you really get a good history of Pope Francis's life, and what he had to do for his country in Argentina moreover the consequences he had to pay for. Furthermore, He really had a great line in stating that sin is really not something to get over its more like a mortal wound and you need to treat it, in order to heal yourself. Both Anthony Hopkins and Johnathan Pryce are the real reason why this film is amazing, the real chemistry they two provide for the film is simply outstanding, Anthony Hopkins as always does a great job when it comes to performances moreover he really does a fantastic job playing Pope Benedict, and showing the emotion and realizing that his time has come, and of all people in the world he discusses this with he talks to Pope Francis, with great reason he really sees him to be his successor and I'll give a little example in a bit because I did pick this up while watching the film. Johnathan Pryce on the other hand I have to say that this was truly one of his greatest performances I've ever seen out of him, though sure that man was most famous for playing the Governor of Port Royale in the first three Pirates films but this film alone, I have to say this was the performance I deeply admired and loved at the same time, on the grounds that he really show all the elements of Pope Francis who was a man prefers his own matter and personal things but he really showed tender side to him moreover an emotional side that I honestly have never heard of in honesty, but the way Pryce portraited him I was just in awed. Even in moments where I had to chuckle at like the phone scenes where he had to make a phone call to book an airplane ticket because even I had to laugh because I was just thinking to myself "yeah you and me both brother", also one scene in particular I loved was when both Pope Benedict and Pope Francis decided to have some lunch Benedict says the rosary Francis is so anxious to eat but he doesn't want to interrupt, for which is one of the many things I loved the chemistry these two actors provided and I thought they did an amazing job together on screen. Okay, for a film buff like myself I do say that you can really look at this film well and see great things in terms of both actors and what they're characters are thinking of, for example through the course of the movie Pope Francis was trying to get Pope Benedict to sign his papers so he can retire in peace, but Benedict kept ignoring that topic because I truly believed deep down he would be an excellent choice to succeed him as Pope but he really had to know for himself, furthermore through the course of their time together Benedict really has some time to get to know Francis and really understand why he became a servant of God, but also felt his pain and distress through his time as a priest. And even though these men share different opinions they both found a great respect for one another in ways even I couldn't explain, much less I would have to watch this film again to see other minor details I didn't see. Yes, I know most faiths wouldn't understand why I choose this for my monthly recommendation a side that it's Easter week, but personally I kind of wanted to do something based on my Catholic faith and the Two Popes was one of those films that really struck home with me personally and helped me take a deep breath on no matter how hard life is you always need to take a moment both pray and realize that everyone in this chaotic world has personal problems, especially great men like Pope Benedict and Pope Francis. So, everyone Christian or not I would highly recommend watching the Two Popes, this was an amazingly well-crafted movie from start to finish and I believe everyone should at least see this movie especially on Easter week or Lent. So, in closing Happy Easter everyone.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment