Tuesday, February 23, 2021

The Righteous Gemstones


 











                                   I don't much go for anything that consist of Danny McBride mainly because majority of his work consist of him playing the same douche/dumb ass cliché person out there, well I take it back because I did love Alien Covenant mainly since its directed by a professional director like Sir Ridley Scott. But since we're living in mad, mad world, and was given access to HBO Max furthermore his, I figured what the hell might as well make the use of it. speaking of Hellfire and Brimstone Danny McBride's latest creation The Righteous Gemstones is surprisingly pretty good considering it's about televangelist family that cares more about their personal lifestyle than others. But, is somewhat the religious Walt Disney in which builds an empire in their name, kind of Jimmy Swaggart/Walt Disney. And I usually don't say this a lot, but this is hands down McBride's best work. Now I hope I don't say that in futures to come but will just have to wait and see. 
                                 The series centers around The Gemstones led by Dr. Eli Gemstone (John Goodman) a televangelist whose created a huge empire of gospel preachers, which I'm still stating it's like Jimmy Swaggart and Walt Disney created the Gemstones, in a secret lab. After his wife dies Eli has been trying to fill that void in hopes of his children can do that, but unfortunately his kids are spoiled and downright egotistical. All that changes when Eli's oldest son is being blackmailed and a long-lost brother in law (Walter Goggins) comes into the family's lives. Though when it comes to this family what can possibly go wrong?
                                 I had to re-watch the first episode with an associate of mine and he enjoyed it, and the only reason I did this because I wasn't quite sure how to make of this. Now that I got through all the first season I must say and hopefully this will be the last time I say this personally, but this was McBride’s best work. One of the reasons why this show is intriguing to me is well, it's about horrible people who use the fame and fortune in order to be a million dollar franchise this going back to Disney Company furthermore they also proclaim themselves higher being's and yet don't look at themselves in the mirror. Moreover, I must admit it's fun to watch horrible people trying to survive in a famous lifestyle. John Goodman as always does a great job playing the religious Don Corleone of the family keeping the children at check moreover feeling lost in terms of not having his wife around and Goodman’s a St. Louis Cardinals fan so anything he does I’ll give a chance in watching, well except for Rosanne and the other spinoff shows. Both of the kids (Danny McBride, Adam Devine and Edi Patterson) do a fantastic job playing so spoiled and cruel but strangely enough you kind of relate to them for most purposes is that they both bicker and fight furthermore are immature sometimes but deep down they love each other and will always help one another out. I do have to admit I was impressed with McBride's performance aside from him creating this fascinating show, but I have to say I love the fact that he plays a man who's a bit cruel sometimes, also thinking he's better than himself, but also kind of on the dumb side to be honest because there were amusing parts in which I think he's way late with the generation furthermore being a bit way to stuck in the eighties I guess. Goggins does good work as well playing a deceitful brother in law who hold a grudge with Goodman's character, and let’s be honest the man was born in Alabama so him playing a Southern man is always his best work. What I find most impressive with the show is that there moments where you'd think oh okay they settle it all in the first episode but after end of the first episode they real do good in making you come back for more. The other thing I found to be a nice touch was the fact that each member of the Gemstone family has a come to Jesus moment and I personally thought that was a great idea because as much as I enjoy seeing the family be terrible to everyone around them I also love the fact that they actually get a good glimpse of the mirror and see what monsters they've become. Unlike Scarlet O'Hara WHOSE A STONE COLD B***H THROUGH OUT THE ENTIRE F**KING MOVIE OF GONE WITH THE WIND AND DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ONE SENSE OF REALIZATION OF WHAT A TERRIBLE PERSON SHE'S BECOME MOREOVER TOOK TWO AND A HALF HOURS OF MY LIFE. AND I WILL NEVER GET THOSE PRECIOUS HOURS BACK. Sorry I had to get that out of my system I just the thought of watching two and a half hours of Gone with the Wind and just listening to O'Hara b***h and complain just haunts me to this very day, which is why I advise you all to stay away from a terrible movie like Gone with the Wind. Okay, getting back on track, I highly recommend watching this show although there's quite of bit of men's packages throughout the show, which is why I was blinded sometimes. So, you can get through that disturbance then you'll be okay. But seriousness a side, this was a great show coming out of the mind of Danny McBride, furthermore, am looking forward to season two if it ever comes soon. And if you’re a fan of McBride's work than this will defiantly be a show for you. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment