Friday, February 19, 2021

10 year Anniversary of Immortals


 





                            Ten years ago, the film that made Henry Cavil aka Superman, aka The Witcher a household name. That film was Immortals a Greek Mythology movie were Greek Mythos where nearly hitting the brink of destruction although this wasn't the reason why but this film at the time had some potential in a sense. I've seen this film in the theaters for which, why I went to it was, well because Cavil was reported to play Superman, so I must see this and so how does this film rank up now? Well, to be honest the film itself was not all bad but at least better than the 2010 and 1981 version of Clash of the Titans. Now don't get me wrong it does have some flaws moreover some moments where it could have been better and lastly has Stephan Dorff who consistently tries to have a career, but his talking fails miserably when opens his mouth. But on the bright side this has Mickey Rourke playing the bad guy in the movie which is convenient despite the fact that he was in the Wrestler two years prior to this film's release so obviously he brings wrestling fighting style when he takes on The Witcher. So, without further ado let’s talk and see if Immortals was as good as I or yourselves remember it.
                            The film is loosely based on Theseus (Henry Cavil) who fought the mighty Minotaur. After his mother is brutally murdered by King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke), Theseus goes on a quest that will change the very course of history when it is revealed to him that he was chosen or mentored by Zeus (Luke Evans and John Hurt who plays mortal version of Zeus). Accompanied by an Oracle (Freda Pinto) who can for see the future. Theseus leads the people of Greece to stand and protect Mount Tartarus or else Hyperion will unleash the Titans and bring Chaos upon the world.
                            Now before you call me out on this yes I know this film came out in November but since where living in a screwed up world, all thanks to the American Government I honestly don't have anything to talk about so I guess sorry but not that sorry. I got to say, I don't honestly remember my views ten years ago though honestly the film is okay-ish but there were mostly moments and visions I can't take much serious when it comes to the whole movie, plus its story as well. And I'll start with the story, the whole concept of a mad man taking revenge on the Greek Gods because his prayers weren't answered to save his family that whole concept for the antagonist I get, moreover Zeus's point of view of never interfering with mankind though he guides a demigod like Theseus to be a skilled warrior and a leader through mortal form that I get as well, but if he for saw the events of Hyperion trying to destroy mankind also the Gods themselves then why didn't he just summoned the assistance of other demigods like Hercules, Cadmus or even Perseus to help our main demigod since were telling a fantasy story why not just break a few rules and having a few demigods join forces to stop the mad man from destroying the world. For many reason's I'd rather prefer that concept than having to listen to Stephan Dorff talking, I mean holy crap there were times when I just wanted to shout at my TV "SHUT UP STEPHAN DORFF", I'm sorry but there was a time I view him as a mediocre bad guy and that was after watching Blade. I don't mind a whole lot of the Titans look per say, but the Greek Gods I do kind of have an issue because they all look like there about the same age especially when there's a scene between Zeus and Athena even though Zeus is talking to his own daughter who looks the same age as he is. I mean sure you can argue that the Greek Gods are supposed to be perfectly good looking but really you can at least make them different in a sense like at least for example have Zeus and Poseidon have at least a grow a beard for the presence that they're both brothers and they're also the origins of Olympus, Ares another great example since he's the God of War he can always have like a battle scar furthermore he also has post dramatic stress, but on the other hand Ares would also make a good antagonist as well instead of just writing a fictionalized mad King or Ares can also influence Mickey Rourke's character in mortal form as well. The other thing that I kind of feel confused nor don't understand is the whole battle sequence between the Gods and Titans is there's very few Gods taking on the Titans moreover it would of been in interesting fight if you had Hermes involved because he can use his speed to run over these Titans one by one, speaking of very few Gods they didn't have Hades involved and personally he come down and summon spirits of lost warrior's but I guess the only explanation I can think of is budgetary reasons which I don't know how that can make any sense or logic. Furthermore, this is one of those films that I believe could have been done better in terms of story and action sequences despite the fact that this film has already been made ten years ago. Now, I haven't seen the 2010 or 1981 versions of Clash of the Titans in quite a long time though I do have a unique memory of the 2010 version and I can honestly say that Immortals is a better movie than the 2010 Clash of the Titans a side of that being a very small complement because this film really has some flaws, but its honestly not all bad I just feel like it could of been made better although more appropriate version of this movie is logged in the forgotten reaches of my brain. Having watched this film for the first time in ten years, I have to admit it's really not all bad Henry Cavil isn't all bad as the protagonist in the movie Luke Evans does a good job as the King of the Gods, the story itself is decent and so is the action sequences, though in my honest opinion this film alone could of been done better. So, this film is in the one dollar bin or the five dollar bin I would recommend picking it up or just rent it on your phone or touch pad, just don't buy it for many reason's it cost fifteen dollars and to me that's expensive for a B-movie like Immortals, but if you’re not adventures I totally understand.         


No comments:

Post a Comment