Friday, July 24, 2026

July Recommendation: Rob Roy

 












          Trying to find some random movies to watch, mainly trying to at least find something that I've not seen or haven't gotten the opportunity to sit down and watch from start to finish. And Rob Roy was one of those movies that came into my radar but just hadn't got to time to sit down finally watch. So, as luck would have it, I finally got down and watched the film all the way through. And I more importantly chose this for my monthly recommendation for the month of July, since May we had the Western genre, June was of course the comedies, and now July is the epics, and yet with Rob Roy it has a great list of actors From Liam Neeson to Brian Cox as well as other accomplished actors. 
          In 18th Century Scotland, Robert Roy MacGregor (Liam Neeson) is the head of a proud Highlands clan that herds cattle. Rob takes a one-thousand-pound loan from the Marquis of Montrose (John Hurt) to feed his people through the upcoming winter. Though deception as well as blood being spilled Rob Roy must go into hiding and find the right moment to strike at the very people who wronged him. 
          The other reason as to why I chose this film to be my July Recommendation, and of all the epics I would choose, this was like the underappreciative Braveheart movie at that time of the film’s release granted this film was made and released the same time as Braveheart and I personally felt this was almost like a younger brother of Braveheart that nobody watched as well as nobody even remembered this film was even released to theaters in the mid-90s, and yet this film was great to watch from beginning to the final frame, I mean you had an incredible ensemble cast with Liam Neeson at the helm with a great list of antagonists with John Hurt, Brian Cox and Tim Roth who really did a fantastic job playing the main antagonist in the movie, I mean he of all the villainous Brits in the movie aside from Cox, Roth was just so, wrenched of all the cruel deeds he does in the movie I was just rooting for Neeson to strangle him or finally get his comeuppance and granted, I've seen the duel a bunch of times prior to not seeing the movie ahead of time but the way Roth being so cruel and so, scum of the earth that you just hate the bastard from the first bad deed till he meets his end then your like "YES", "oh feels so, good", for which in all honesty is the reason as to why he was nominated for a Oscar. I will say what holds this movie together is the actors and even Jessica Lange because you feel for the Scots and the abuse they go through but more importantly showed that the rift between Brits and Scots still wasn’t that great. Although I will honestly say I've got to noticed some interesting things about 18th century especially when the royal's get to go to the bathroom they simply have a huge pan or bow that they can lift their bed dress and just take a big wiz while sitting on the bed and hopefully they throw it outside with the hopes that they don't hit someone with their wiz if you know what I mean, for which it would be difficult to do now because we're all pretty much in our own undies and would be difficult to pull off our undies and sit back down on the bed, also I think Liam Neeson has Leo beat when it comes to spending the night inside an animal though sure it's been a long time since I've watched the Revenant but I though Neeson getting the guts out of a cow was disgusting though in all fairness it's been close to ten years since I've seen the Revenant so I may have to cross that bridge and find out in futures to come. The fun fact about the movie is that it was shot entirely in Scotland so, it would make sense that you would get a ton of these beautiful shots of the landscape and more importantly they had to hike to get to their destination, hence the same way of shooting Chris Nolan and his crew in the Odyssey with the huge IMAX camera. Again this film alone is one of the many reasons why the 90's were an exciting time to go to the movies as well as having the best of time, and Rob Roy is one of those 90's films that I would highly recommend watching from start to finish of course because it was a younger brother to Braveheart, but like most epics this film was more grounded in terms of character driven storylines like most epics for sure, but this film does heavily focus themes of honor, loyalty and more importantly devotion between both Neeson and Lange moreover each of them did an exceptional job through the course of the movie and you can't help but root for them to gain their justice by end of the film and Rob Roy does a fantastic job rooting for your main protagonists as well as despising your antagonists along the way. So, in closing Rob Roy is free to watch on yours truly Tubi as well as Amazon Prime and Pluto TV, so if you’re looking for a great 90's epic movie to watch I would highly recommend watching Rob Roy. 
               

No comments:

Post a Comment