Monday, October 31, 2022

10 Year Anniversary: Promethious

 















                           During the month of September, I slowly began to realize that I'm way behind on movies I wanted to review that mark their 10-year anniversary, but luckily, I've just in the nick of time brought out and watched a film by Ridley Scott (still doing the Ridley Scott tribute for last year) that's I somewhat consider both science fiction and horror at the same time? Ah screw it the movie is Prometheus that is a misunderstood prequal to the Alien Franchise but there is no Alien's involved for some reason. Back in 2012 I was excited for this movie to come out because it was Ridley Scott and at the time, I figured he couldn't do anything wrong especially since this was his first time coming back to Science Fiction genre since Blade Runner. Now watching this film, I feel like there a lot of unanswered questions that I'm defiantly confident I will ever get the answers.
                        The discovery of a clue to mankind's origins on Earth leads a team of explorers to the darkest parts of the universe. Two brilliant young scientists lead the expedition. Shaw (Noomi Rapace) hopes that they will meet a race of benevolent, godlike beings who will in some way verify her religious beliefs, while Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) is out to debunk any spiritual notions. However, neither the scientists nor their shipmates are prepared for the unimaginable terrors that await them.
                        I will say now having watched this movie, I must strongly admit that this wasn't as good as I remembered. For many reasons this was supposed to be a prequal to the original Alien but yet the story sourly focuses on Gods from outer space creating humanity on Earth, for which I have so many questions one of them basically what does that have to do with the Alien's aka Xenomorph's, the second is why would you start off using set design's from the original Alien movie and use that as a metaphor that unknown alien Gods where responsible for humanity and it's  convenient that Ridley Scott of course would say that this would be in the direction it would go since he claims to be an ashiest which is wow, SHOCKER. And sure, you can do all these things when developing the story AS LONG AS WE GET TO SEE THE ALIEN'S, but of course we don't see them all we see are these weird buff pale duds that are supposed to be Humanities makers, for which in all honesty they don't look that scary at all, hell not even close. Though to the film's credit it does have some great what the f**k moments and Scott is the king of doing what the f**k moments when it comes to making movies and there is a lot of them especially the more memorable one is when Noomi Rapace is about to give birth to a alien baby and tries to decontaminate it, now let's be clear I'm a full blooded Catholic I believe there is a God and Jesus was our savior and sorry not sorry but I'm also against abortion because and a lot of people don't get it at all once you’re giving birth do a baby that's three to six months in, THAT'S BASICALLY KILLING A LIVE HUMAN BEING. But if you’re having intercourse with someone that's may have been roofied into drinking something alien liquid for which may give birth to a vicious alien creature that may want to kill you, yeah that's when you need to decontaminate it. The other thing in what makes the movie positive is it's cast or the scene stealers like Michael Fassbender who plays the android David, and Fassbender's portrayal of David is so excellent you don't know whether to trust him with your life or is he going to kill you and I still love the fact that in the beginning of the movie where we're first introduce to him he's monitoring the ship all by himself and it's so mesmerizing you can't stop watching him play basketball while riding a bike, now if it were me monitoring the ship after suffering being in prison lockdown from the pandemic I would lose my mind and then destroy the ship. With obvious great acting from Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron and surprising old man look of Guy Pierce but deep-down Michael Fassbender was the scene stealer throughout the whole film. Deep down this is a decent made movie with its WTF jump scares and great set design and great direction, but I would rank this in Ridley Scott's top ten best films, hell in all honesty it's more in the honorable mentions but all in all it's a decent movie to watch whenever I want to pop in something I haven't seen in a while but I wouldn't want to watch the second time although I'm defiantly going to watch it again with audio commentary because I need some questions answered desperately if you catch my meaning.
    
                              

No comments:

Post a Comment