Wednesday, October 26, 2022

October Recommendation: Hush

 















                              About two maybe three months I wasn't sure if I was going to have a movie worth recommending for the month of October. Until I saw this cleverly drawn horror story of cat and mouse, I now have something worth watching for the month of October. Now I'll say that yes, I do search for great unknown Horror movies for the month of October because well, October is the month of Halloween it's supposed to be scary and that's what most people crave upon October. And granted good horror movies are hard to find, though luckily with the help of my brother I sat down and watched this great movie called Hush, which is set simply in the forests of the unknown where a killer is stalked by a deaf/mute author, who is defiantly worth the watch in my case.
                            A deaf writer (Kate Siegel) who retreated into the woods to live a solitary life must fight for her life in silence when a masked killer appears in her window. 
                            I should quickly add that this film was made on Netflix so you can defiantly watch this great horror film any time you want. The thing that makes Horror films great to watch, in my view point is that they have to be a specific thing on what scares us the most, like in alien species that goes to three stages of hosting inside your body and bursting out of your chest then using you as a breeding ground for more eggs to grow or give birth, or a wealthy family that's a satanic cult willing to sacrifice a new member of the family, or a killer stalking you via using a voice changer moreover knowing your every move. What makes Hush great is that it uses the unexpected type of fear, silence furthermore the kind of silence that you as a person can't hear especially when your being stalked by a killer. The director of the film Mike Flanagan and his wife Kate Siegel who just so happens to be the star of the film, both have written the screenplay for which of them both have done a fantastic job in bringing this great story to life, the other thing I've found out is that Mike Flanagan has created another creepy horror show called the Haunting of Hill House, for which is also on Netflix and which both Mike and Kate Siegel have met and fall in love, which is beautiful if you ask me. Anyway, getting back to topic Flanagan even stats that he wanted to main character to be a deaf mute he wanted to direct a film without dialogue. For which yeah when you’re doing a slasher film like Hush yeah that's what I call making silence very scary, another fun fact via production in order to represent Kate Siegel's characters world, various ambient sounds were used, such as sound of ultrasound machines. Flanagan did not want to use pure silence for these scenes, as he still felt it would make viewers even more aware of their surrounding and take them out of the experience.  Now, both Flanagan and Siegel give a tremendous amount of credit in making this film work, for Flanagan giving the film so much tension that even during my second viewing I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through without looking at my phone. Kate Siegal does a great job playing a woman whose both deaf/mute but also balances the venerable aspects when it comes to horror and the brave aspect when she finally stands up to the killer in the movie. Speaking of killers, John Gallagher Jr. does an outstanding job playing the killer stalking Siegel's character, now for those who don't know who this actor is, well if you haven't seen Aaron Sorkin's tv show The Newsroom Gallagher was Jim Harper for which I've seen midst of season one but, when I researched some of the movie and stumbled upon his name I was a bit surprised especially the fact that Gallagher in the movie doesn't look a thing like what he was in the Newsroom, so back to the movie he does a great job playing a psychopath who will stop at nothing to get in and kill his victim moreover Gallagher does a great job just playing so menacing with no remorse and not wanting to be rooted for which is what I always want to look for when watching a suspenseful horror movie. One of the very few films I found this year that deserves a recommendation in the month of October that is worth seeing from start to finish and is under ninety minutes, so if you’re in for a suspenseful, scary thrill ride in the month of Halloween I would highly recommend watching Hush.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment