Monday, February 14, 2022

February Recommendation: The Cutting Edge

 











                                     


                                   Oh what's this? It's Valentine’s Day and the Winter Olympic Games has begun (technically still in progress)? Well what a great time to day to recommend my monthly recommendation to all lovers and married couples out there, also let’s not forget the singles out there I mean sure it may not be your kind of Holiday but this movie will at least give you hope that you'll one day find the love of your life right? The film I'm recommending for the month of February is the figure skating classic The Cutting Edge. This movie is a, well for starters is a rare gem of a classic that was loved by my parents and of course my older sister and they would rent this movie quite a lot and maybe this film was also on TV I'm not sure but I'm just assuming, and of course this would be one of those films that we would always watch for many reasons my parents love the movie and also my sister would always call dibs on the TV remote. I will admit that it's been quite a long time since I watched this movie for which makes it perfect since, where in the month of St. Valentine also the Olympics are going on. Though I have to be admitting there were some little elements that even I did not expect and will get those I promise you because my mind was almost close to atomic explosion, but let’s talk about The Cutting Edge.
                                   Stuck-up figure skating whiz Kate Moseley (Moira Kelly) is denied a gold medal at the 1988 Olympics after a fall. As Kate drives off partner after partner, her coach Anton (Roy Dotrice), must quickly find her a new one in order to be ready for the next Olympics. Enter arrogant former Olympic hockey player Doug Dorsey (D.B. Sweeney). Reluctantly teaming up, Kate and Doug's icy rapport begins to thaw, resulting in chemistry both in and out of the rink.
                                   Now I'm not going to lie when I said before about how long it’s been since I watched this film and really all I can say is that it’s probably between 1995-96ish, maybe when I was in the third grade maybe fourth hell I don't know all I can say it’s been almost way to long since I've watched it since, but all I can remember is that this was my parents favorite movie and my sister worship the film as well. And judging by the years it’s been since I now watched the movie, oh how I can tell you truthfully I was not expecting any of the missing surprises I found in this great classic. But let’s just start off with some of the small steps first before we get to the mind explosion first, firstly this film was written by Tony Gilroy and your probably asking yourself who is Tony Gilroy? Well let’s just say he written a certain action packed spy drama which stared MATT DAMON, yeah that's write this guy single handily written the Jason Bourne films that turned Matt Damon's career into not just a star but a super star. So there no reason to question how great of a romantic comedy Gilroy has created especially since it was his first movie and I have to admit that I was a bit worried that this movie wasn't going to be as good as I remembered it before although it’s been ages so what do I know, but I got to say that Gilroy actually nailed this scripted from start to finish and sure writing dialogue in making the characters fall in love at the end is one thing but really taking the time and effort to research the sport of figure skating and how hard it really is from performing the moves and the training it takes, all while writing it on what maybe a type writer or an original Macintosh is simply outstanding so props to Gilroy in a romantic comedy with figure skating to go along with it, because really as we all know when it comes to writing a romantic comedy it takes just the right ingredients in making the story worthwhile and I got to say he deserves all four stars for that. Okay so, this may not be a huge mind blown experience but the director of the movie Paul Michael Glaser, well he's surprisingly known for his role in the vintage TV series Starsky & Hutch (he was Ben Stiller's character in case you were wondering) for which I was surprised myself, guessing he wanted to make movies so can't really deny a man to follow his dream, but all jokes a side I actually believe he did a great job as well bringing this great story to life, I mean he showed a lot of great camera shots which I thought were cool moreover did a great job in showing a lot of the training side to figure skating and also finding the right actors to bring the story to life as well. All right everyone now were nearly close to the mind blown part but you have to wait, just wait and it will come to you, I promise. Now I knew who D.B. Sweeney was due to the fact that I watched him portray Shoeless Joe Jackson in Eight Men Out and I kind of knew who Moira Kelly was? Although I had to look up her Wikipedia page to see that she was the voice of Nala from the original Lion King. Now, these two are what made this film possible in fact these two are the real reasons why this film was so amazing, I mean they both have the best chemistry together moreover provided great comedic work as well as some of the dramatic moments in the film too, and with all that these two made me believe that they fallen madly in love for each other in the end. Now I'm skipping past Terry O'Quinn because let’s face it the guy was good as always playing the dad furthermore he played a fictionalized version of Howard Hughes in The Rocketeer and he was also in Lost, So Okay moving on to the biggest mind blown experience I've ever had in my whole life was the ex-fiancée Moira Kelly's character, actor Dwier Brown? Well this man just so happens to be John Kinsella from the greatest Baseball movie ever Field of Dreams, yes that's right he was in Field of Dreams playing Kevin Costner's Dad and I got to tell you, I did not see that coming from a mile away and I'm serious when I say this, when I first sat down and watched the movie and his face showed up I was like "wow that man looks familiar", and so I paused the movie of course looked up the movie for which his name was on there and it took one picture of him in his baseball costume for me have a critical mind blown experience I've never had before in my life, I swear I felt like Terry Crews in the old spice commercial when his brain came out of his head and exploded right in front of him, moreover it took me quite a while to shake that feeling out of myself in order to write this recommendation. This film is without a doubt the GOAT of all figure skating movies, and they've never been able to top it for years and I remember the sequel ABC Family did where Kim Possible aka Christy Carlson Romano was the star of the movie and judging by the many bits and pieces I've seen of the movie it wasn't all that great. Though hands down this film is the GOAT of figure skating movies and also officially in my top five greatest Romantic Comedies of all time, it was funny and had great chemistry with both lead actors and actress of D.B. Sweeney and Moira Kelly just hands down one of the best, also now that I'm thinking about it I'm probably going to have to take the time and figure out my top five best Romantic Comedies are and I do have a collection it’s just a matter of ranking them. So, to all the love birds out there when you take the time in watching this great chick flick, just remember to thank Jason Bourne writer Tony Gilroy. Happy Valentine's Day to all love birds out there.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment