Friday, June 4, 2021

Movies I haven't seen in a while: Sicario

 













                                Since I've been going through a huge Taylor Sheridan binge with his latest film Those who wish me dead and Yellowstone, I figured I'm going to go back and re-watch in film that I kind of in a sense didn't review it fairly enough mainly because I can't stand Emily Blunt acting and that was it though granted this was six years ago when I talked about this film on my blog furthermore all I remember was not liking Emily Blunt's performance but in all honesty I that was my first introduction into Taylor Sheridan, the writer behind Sicario. And ever since I watched both Hell or High Water and Wind River, I begin to fall in love more of the way he was able to tell the story and also bringing back western genre but within upgrade. So, going back and re-watching Sicario I must admit I didn't give this film fair credit in terms of how amazing this film was moreover Benicio Del Toro's performance throughout the film. So, let's say hi to in old friend talk about a movie I haven't seen in a while.
                                After rising through the ranks of her male-dominated profession, idealistic FBI agent Kate Mercer (Emily Blunt) receives a top assignment. Recruited by a mysterious government official Matt Graver (Josh Brolin), Kate joins a task force for the escalating war against drugs. Led by the intense and shadowy Alejandro (Benicio Del Toro), the team travels back-and-forth across the U.S.-Mexican border, using one cartel boss to flush out a bigger one, though how far can Kate go, when pushing the limits to what is write and what is wrong.
                                 So, now having watched this movie for the first time since seeing it in theaters six years ago, I do have found respect for the film mostly for its grittiness and the limitations between right and wrong and sure this film is directed by Denis Vileneuve who directed arrival and Blade Runner 2049, but in all honesty this was clearly Taylor Sheridan's movie from start to finish for many reasons if Vileneuve made certain changes I would imagine Sheridan and producers would chew his ass, just saying, moreover there's now weirdness to follow this movie like Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 so it explains more that this would most certainly be Taylor Sheridan's baby. Now having experience Sheridan's work I clearly understand the views between right and wrong when it comes to living in harsh lands where the law doesn't want to cross, though yes at first I never understood why we needed Emily Blunt's character in this movie that was another element to his story work I finally understood also because Blunt's character represents upholding the book of law where ever you go no matter what while both Brolin and Del Toro's character's represent if we are to fight our enemy that doesn't follow the rules we need to adopt the same way, especially when you hear Alejandro's motives and drives then your obviously thinking to yourself "yeah sorry Blunt but you don't get in opinion anymore sorry not sorry". And just like Hell or High Water were the roles are similar but different, like Jeff Bridges character represents catching the bad guys no matter what despite the fact that he doesn't have a clear understanding of how dead Texas is when it comes to the way of life. While Pine and Foster's characters represent attempting to build a better life for Pine's two boys, so in all actuality Sicario was really the first movie that gets you to think on what is more right than wrong when it comes to living of the land or fighting an enemy that doesn't play by the rules of the law. Though sure I have to admit Emily Blunt does a great job in her role when it comes to questioning everything she stands for moreover she brings a lot of humanity and brokenness to her character, because throughout the film she starts as a head strong individual until the end of the film she's just become this broken person with no strong will left in her. Josh Brolin is good in almost everything he does except movies where he's cashing in a check but this one he does a great job playing a man who knows what it means to find the enemy with all means necessary, also the man is Thanos for crying out loud he killed majority of the important Avengers. But the one person that really shines most in the movie alone is without a doubt is Benicio Del Toro and I always liked his character the most in the movie because he at first is a mysterious character who you don't know a whole lot about but is a scary SOB who I wouldn't want to cross even though I would be glad to have on my side but I wouldn't want to betray him furthermore when you get to the near end of the movie you begin to understand why he does what he does moreover can't really argue with his the reasons of why he is scary man. Cinematographer legend, Roger Deakin's does in outstanding job in capturing the landscape of the U.S.-Mexican border moreover capturing moments of the film where the image feels like a painting especially Del Toro's close ups when he's confronting either Blunt or a certain enemy. Now I will go to great lengths in stating that this is a full Taylor Sheridan film and a great film as well and I would highly recommend this to anyone who are into the intense action genre's moreover any of Sheridan's films I would most certainly recommend as well to anyone who’s a fan of the western genre also.

No comments:

Post a Comment