Friday, June 18, 2021

Father's Day Recommendation: Major League

 















                              Well we're nearing close to Father's Day everybody, and luck would have it this pick is defiantly one of the many movies me and my father would watch 24/7, and I'm sure a lot of other Dads could point at this movie and say "nothing on but Major League is? Hell, yeah I'm watching this", I think in all honesty any Baseball fan would watch Major League from start to finish. Surprising history my first introduction to Major League wasn't really the original film itself it was actually the sequel that came with it and at the time I in a bizarre sense thought was a good baseball movie moreover my parents let us because what I didn't realize that this was more of a kids movie than the original film. So, luckily in a small trip me and my brother looked around a Best Buy and I finally found the original Major League film, bought it and finally watched it and all I can tell you is that I would prefer the 1989 Major League over its two sequels anytime anywhere. And I'm confident this would be one of the many films me and my Dad would enjoy.
                              The new owner of the Cleveland Indians, former showgirl Rachel Phelps (Margaret Whitton), has a sweetheart deal to move the team to Miami. But to break the lease with the city of Cleveland, ticket sales must plummet. So, Phelps hires the most incompetent players available, including a near-blind pitcher Rick Vaughn (Charlie Sheen) and injury-prone catcher Jake Taylor (Tom Berenger). But her villainous tactics accidently foster a can-do team spirit, turning the Indians into potential winners. 
                               I'm not going to say a whole lot about what really makes this film amazing because I believe we can all agree on that everyone knows how great this film is moreover there's really not much to say the film David S. Ward speaks for itself. In fact, David S. Ward is a lifelong Indian’s fan himself who never seen his favorite team win anything during his time so what any other baseball would do the man created one of the greatest baseball story ideas ever developed. To give more Baseball fact that would survey inspiration behind Major League was that the Indians ballclub hadn't won a pennant since 1954, furthermore through the course of the clubs existence they never had a winning season since that time and to give a great example Sports Illustrated even predicted that the Indians would win the World Series in 1987, unfortunately they lost 100 games during that season so, thanks to Sports Illustrated in jinxing that whole season. But what really makes this film more of a center piece for pop culture and the future of Cleveland sports was that former general manager John Hart to the job just right when the film came out into theaters moreover saw the film and just had a "oh no" thought to himself about how that would be what he would have to endure. So, if this film ever had anything that helped mankind in producing it would most certainly be producing one of the best 90's Indians that we baseball fans all come to know and love. To be honest what makes this film great is that if you ever have cable or live streaming and see Major League in that specific channel I would think anyone would just automatically watch it no matter what part of the film they missed, moreover this film still to this day holds the test of time mainly because you can compare this movie to any of your favorite teams and just think of how this reminds you of the way your sports team is playing, hell I'm typing this review right how watching how bad my Cardinals are playing against the Atlanta Braves and yes I can put my foot down and say that Carlos Martinez is the real life Wild Thing. Lastly this film alone will always be one of the greatest baseball or sports films in general for its great one liners plus the outstanding performance of well everyone in general but really if I had to name one actor who I don't know if the film would of worked without him/her it would most certainly be real life MLB broadcaster Bob Uecker who does a tremendous job playing Harry Doyle whose bit of an alcoholic whose burnt out on the Indians Ball club that he just makes these great lines that I couldn't see anyone doing a better job than Bob Uecker did, though I would think Harry Caray would be a good one but I don't think he would of pull off the performance Uecker delivered, and what's great is that Ward actually gave Uecker all of the freedom in the world to bring Doyle to life so that's a great example of trusting both your actor as well as your director. So, if you have a Dad who loves that game of baseball ask him if he wants to sit down and watch Major League and see what reaction you can get out of him because if I had the free time in the world I would most certainly ask my father if he'd like to watch one of the greatest Baseball films ever made.            

No comments:

Post a Comment