Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Dune: Part Two

 











                                     
                                   Well, the sort of sequel to the first Dune movie has been unleashed on Max and given the fact that I already seen the first film I figured well, I might as well continue this journey. Again, watching the Dune films by Denis Villeneuve is a getting out of my comfort zone, for which really it was a must do type thing as a movie watcher I have to personally find those types of films to expand my horizons on. I will say that there is one thing about this movie that's not right here and this film being Dune: Part Two and really should be call just Dune and the other Dune film being called Dune: Bore but then no one would quite understand it but then again I watched the film a month before so deep down with the film’s release I can now withhold my grudge of the first films boredom but then again that's just another story of emotion.
                                   Paul Atreides (Timothee Charlamet) unites with Chani (Zendaya) and the Fremen while seeking revenge against his conspirators who destroyed his family. Facing a choice between the love of his life and the fate of the universe, he must prevent a terrible future only he can foresee.
                                   Now, I'm sure you've read my review of the first Dune movie upon which I made some criticism about the movie being boring for which really it was I'm not going to lie though I'm not say the movie was all bad that's not what I'm saying, mainly the first film alone was a visual stunning movie moreover has an incredible music score by the ever talented Academy Award Winner, Hans Zimmer. With all those good qualities aside, the story itself was still boring moreover didn't feel like some of the scenes didn't need to be inquired from the book and into the movie. And there are so many ways you can cut this book in half and make this a movie to be seen, but then again both films are now out for streaming so if you see it or not it really doesn't make much difference when you watch both movies together. Sitting down and watching the second film, I will say one actor stood out the most in this whole movie was Austin Butler's portrayal of Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen, and really his menacing presence on screen was great to see especially because it reminded me a lot of Ray Park's portrayal of Darth Maul and strangely enough each characters have a sixteen minutes of screen time and they both show how great of antagonists they can show on screen. Moreover the other thing on what made Butler's portrayal iconic was that he took his character serious and I really loved the scene between him and Stellan Skarsgard and it like a great scene between two great character actors furthermore was mesmerizing to see and can't stop watching these great actors perform, even though I haven't seen Elvis I truly believe Austin Butler is a great character actor and hopefully he does great work in future's to come. A side from the fact that nothing truly happens in the first film, suddenly when I watch the second movie everything is happening, and it doesn't feel like you’re needing to check your phone or go do something else because a ton of action sequences happen, and a ton of revenge happens as well. Now that both films conclude the first book of Dune it does leave a lot of questions in terms of what are we preparing to see in the third installment, furthermore the character of Paul is supposed to be this Luke Skywalker type figure so I'm wondering if the next book he becomes Darth Vader? For which I'm not going to go any further because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone because I want everyone to see this movie so, I'm just going to leave with the fact that it leaves with a ton of questions of what Paul as a character becomes and by end of the movie be prepared to have a lot of questions unanswered. I would most certainly recommend both films though deep down you should just watch the second movie but if you're wanting a full-on Dune experience, I would suggest watching both films. But most importantly I'm recommending the film as a way of getting out of your comfort zone and I'm not saying watching a lot of bizarre, weird movies or watch all of David Lynch's filmography, just look through AFI's top 100 and watch some of the greatest movies of all time as a practice and then finding movies that's dumb but entertaining as a way of training yourself. For which really, I'm later going to watch the original Dune and feeling unprepared but not sure but, in the end, should watch to see which director is the weirdest director of all time. 
      
                                       

                                
                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment