Friday, May 17, 2024

25th Anniversary of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace


 











                                Back in April, I thought to myself that after watching The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare I figured that would most certainly be my only movie to see at the Movie Theater. Until my brother brought up the idea of going to see Star Wars: The Phantom Menace at one of our local theaters in the Tri-City area of Nebraska, I at first wasn't sure of the idea of reliving the Prequel Trilogy but it's a bro's night out so, can't complain. And to be honest it really brought back great and wonderful memories that only a true Star Wars fan could enjoy it brought back memories everyone was camping out at the local theater and everyone one dressing up in Star Wars costumes as well as having lightsaber duels, Moreover a time when Walmart or K-Mart (y’all remember K-Mart?) were selling Star Wars toys in full isles and it felt like a museum of wonder, oh if only I could go back to that time when everything was so simple.
                                Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) is a young Jedi apprentice under the tutelage of Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson); Anakin Skywalker (Jake Lloyd), who will later Father Luke Skywalker and become known as Darth Vader, is just a 9-year-old boy. When the Trade Federation cuts off all routes to the planet of Naboo, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are assigned to settle the matter.
                                When I was a young kid one of the many films, I watched simultaneously watching the original film moreover renting the damn movie over and over from the local library. And really hearing the news back in 1997, that George Lucas was going to create another Star Wars Trilogy that is taking back to when there wasn't a Darth Vader or a Luke Skywalker or even a Han Solo, and me personally being a Darth Vader fan I was like "how can I watch a Star Wars movie without Darth Vader?" That is until I got a first look of Darth Maul, and I was intrigued furthermore hearing about the Jedi order, but most importantly hearing that there's a back story of Anakin Skywalker for which explains so much. So fast forward now to having finally re-watched Episode I, I felt personally that this was like opening my eyes as an older adult more like a wise Star Wars fan, and a lot of it goes through a ton of the language for which I never picked up as young kid. A great example of that is Senator Palpatine was really the mastermind the whole time in the prequel trilogy upon which his real name was indeed Darth Sidious and when I was a kid I never really quite understood that at the time or I was just blinded by the assumption only Sith can be Darth something, and I'm not going to lie I literally was just confused of okay, how is does Emperor Palpatine become what I remembered him furthermore re-watching Episode I was literally like a slap in the face because Palpatine was really Darth Sidious the whole time, Palpatine is really just a cover more like mask to what his real purpose is, almost like you he has that secret chamber to talk to his clients behind the Republic and sure at the time when I watched Episode III, all of it came into place and I was surprised but really it's almost like when you see the Prequels in the theater twenty five years ago I was like a young padawan and now I'm a full-fledged Jedi Master. And yet the other great thing about this film was being able to relive my memory of seeing Darth Maul on screen for the first time and I swear to you when I say this me and my brother both hold hands together when he appeared on screen for his first appearance and his iconic appearance in the Duel of Fates battle, and I can remember seeing him with the double bladed lightsaber moreover was just at awed of this character, that my mom was horrified because he reminded her so much of Satan. Dave Filoni once explained about the true nature behind the Duel of Fates, and that's Qui-Gon believes Anakin is the Chosen One who will bring balance to the Force, and although he sees it the Jedi Council doubts it because of grave danger his training will be and Qui-Gon distances himself from the Jedi because they're not seeing things clearly of what the order can be and more. For which really he would of been the perfect choice to train Anakin, but in the end Qui-Gon loses that battle and Anakin is trained into the old ways of the Jedi, and Obi-Wan through the course of the Prequel's was really never ready but promised his old master before he died so, Duel of Fates is really all about who will be the one to train Anakin Skywalker either the Jedi or Qui-Gon Jinn and that's really the nature of what the Duel of Fates battle between Darth Maul is all about. Now, having watched Episode I in the movie theater, man that was such a fun experience to relive and it brought back so many great memories that I will cherish for the rest of my days and more. Even though the release of Episode I one is probably in many selected theaters for which makes it impossible to go see at your local theater, though as a Star Wars fan I would highly recommend reliving the Star Wars Prequels Trilogy from start to finish.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment