Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Dune (1984)

 













                                         Well, like most Science Fictions epics go, they all must come to an end sometimes. As for Dune sakes this was one of those times where I'm personally glad to be taking a break from a so called Sci-Fi epic that's so complicated to understand moreover so bizarre that even I still don't quite understand it myself, and granted I've never read the book of Dune but for a man whose seen close to two thousand movies from greatest's to B-Movie pleasures to the absolute worst, I'm sorry but there comes a point to where even myself can make a movie better and yet don't want to because of how weird this is. So, as you all can tell I finished watching David Lynch's Dune for a million reasons one of them consists of never seeing it and wanted to see how it compares to Denis Villeneuve's version and deep down this movie alone makes Dune Part One look like an epic classic.
                                          Just take the first two Dune films from Denis Villeneuve and combine it with this movie and you'll find what maybe the worst way to make a movie in the 80's especially when there is technology where you can most certainly do but you really can't because of how bad it looks on Screen. And I've may have said before about cutting this film down but then it just makes it much worse. 
                                          Sorry not sorry in terms of wanting to tell you about the plot behind the 1984 Dune, but after watching this obnoxiously bad movie for which of course is directed by the ever-crazy David Lynch. Now having watched David Lynch's version of Dune I can honestly say that Denis Villeneuve's version of Dune is ten billion times better than David Lynch's version despite the fact that's really an understatement for many reasons it's like comparing the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe film in 2005 to other adaptions that we're made in England. Originally David Lynch was tasked with directing Return of the Jedi before Dune and having heard of that fact I'm supper glad Lynch turned it down or Lucas secretly just told him how weird of a f**ker he is, and so he went on to direct Dune. Books being adapted into films have always been a thing to make more movies as well as making big bucks upon which Ian Fleming's work of James Bond became a huge success Jules Verne's work has been a success though I having seen any of them so I can't back that fact, but there is J.R.R Tolkien Lord of the Rings and Hobbit becoming a huge success as well as Tom Clancy's book and really what makes these books have in common is that they we're made at the time when the technology was there and they were approachable to become successful films. Dune was published around 1965 and this was adapted around 1984 which sure the technology was there but it wasn't fully complete and the thing that makes this movie bad is that the technology wasn't ready for Dune and to be honest I don't know who did the visual effects moreover I don't want to waste my time finding out who they we're but whoever did them was just God awful, and either way if you can't get the effects right you can always rewrite the script and change some details that can stay true to the book, because when your characters have protective shields that look like you’re a huge rectangle it doesn't look good for producers who are financing the film hell even the author himself though I'm not sure if Herbert survived the 80's or died from watching Lynch's film. Even cramming the whole book into a two hour and sixteen-minute film was just so bad because there were so many time montages where suddenly Patrick Stewart and Kyle MacLachian reunite after the purge, and it just looked way too strange. Now, whoever decided to add voice monologue where everyone is talking to themselves should be executed on the spot because just hearing everyone talking to themselves in their own mind just makes me annoyed and want to smash my own TV, hell even everyone talking to themselves sealed the deal in terms of me hating this movie so much furthermore having a mental break down. I'm just going to say this and make it very clear by telling you all not to watch David Lynch's Dune as the film is 40 years old and moreover as aged as bad cheese or terrible wine. Having watched both versions of Dune I'm so glad to be done with Dune because the story just makes no sense to me, and I just can't see where Villeneuve can go in terms of a final chapter just the whole concept of Dune gets so obnoxiously complicated where I doubt anyone can get the story. Though I'm planning to listen to the book on Audible sometime just not right away because I need some space, I'll I can say deep down from the bottom of my heart is really if you feel the need to expand your horizon's in terms of your movie watching, really just sit down and watch Dune Part Two, it tells you the story from the second movie you'll for sure be caught up with what happened and everything happens as every Science Fiction, Epic should and it's a visually stunning movie. One last thing if you ever feel like wanting to watch a David Lynch film, think twice on your decision because you'll regret watching his work for the rest of your life.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment