Friday, April 12, 2024

Road House

 















                                 So, after my viewing of Dune part one, I decided to have an 80's film night upon which I'm not sure if this good as I remembered or haven't aged well in my old age. Patrick Swayze's Roadhouse is one of Swayze's classic's that was a hundred percent 80's trend where you have the protagonist that's always running away from something and doesn't do anything till, he's pushed to the limits which spews into this action cliché that's unintentionally funny, though goes from like five miles per hour to like sixty miles per hour. And in all honesty, that's basically every 80’s action movie throughout that whole decade and it didn't take long for filmmakers and writers now to just skip that whole bulls**t and go all-out war on the antagonist. But hey it does have Kevin Tighe who played one of the gamblers in the 1988 Baseball classic Eight Men Out.
                                 The Double Duce is the meanest, loudest, and rowdiest bar south of the Mason-Dixon Line, and Dalton (Patrick Swayze) has been hired to clean it up. He might not look much, but the PH.D.-educated bouncer proves he's more than capable -- busting the heads of troublemakers and turning the roadhouse into a jumping hot-spot. But Dalton's romance with the gorgeous Dr. Clay (Kelly Lynch) puts him on the bad side of cutthroat local big shot Brad Wesley (Ben Gazzara). 
                                 Now after my latest viewing of Dune I'd figured well maybe an 80's film can give me a good refresher and for some reason I remember that Roadhouse is being remade under the guidance of Doug Liman, whose most famous for films like The Bourne Identity, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, the infamous rematch between Samuel L. Jackson and Hayden Christensen aka Jumper and Edge of Tomorrow. Though I will so get to Doug Liman's Roadhouse but it's going to be a while mainly because I must give myself a small break after experiencing Patrick Swayze's Roadhouse. And to be honest I didn't think this version of Road House was all bad, I just look at this movie as a high school reunion, and you realize that you didn't want to be here, especially when you first see classmates you've haven't seen in ten years and there's some unopened closure and all you just want to do is just sit and watch any baseball game that's on, that's what I viewed the 1989 version of Road House. I think the main problem I had with the movie personally, was the character development of Patrick Swayze's character of Dalton and he's this guy who is only committed just cleaning up the bar or Roadhouse and notices a lot of trouble that's brewing through the course of the movie especially with the confrontation between the over-the-top antagonist in the movie. And all Swayze is doing is staying out of trouble always running away from trouble but the man clearly stat's in his infamous speech "I want you to be nice, until it is time to not be nice" well if a bad guy is trashing people's places moreover pushing them out of business then it's time to take something that belongs to him moreover that's why the movie Nobody is a great movie, where the protagonist or anti-hero takes something from the antagonist no questioning his actions after something that happens to him and tells the bad guy his terms and you'd better take it or you're not going to survive, and with Dalton he just doesn't do anything until the one final straw is pulled and then we have this pretty funny action sequence but with a satisfying ending. I mean sure the movie was fine and got a little bit of amusement but again there's just so much of the movie they could have done and really what the filmmakers did do, didn't do so well. I mean sure if you’re an 80's movie junkie go knock your socks off with watching Roadhouse on Max, but for me I'd prefer to expand my horizons and see how Doug Liman's version of Roadhouse compares to the 89 version.
          
                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment