Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Dune

 
















                               So, like I said before I'm using the year 2024 as an expanding of my horizons in terms of movie watching basically stepping out of my comfort zone when it comes to movies, I've not touched in my lifetime but know I need to see, and man I wished I didn't feel the need to watch Dune.  I decided to watch Québec sensation Denis Villeneuve's Dune for which I'm familiar with a lot of Villeneuve's films from watching films like Sicario, Prisoner's, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 upon which I only loved one out of the three films he's done, for which I'll let you do the math. Bottom line after watching the first Dune I'm not sure whether to feel angry, confused or all the above. 
                               Paul Atreides (Timothee Chamlamet), a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet's exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence, only those who can conquer their own fear will survive. 
                                As a man whose watched a tone of films moreover a variety of films I personally feel like there are things you can be corporate on film that you can't do in the book and Villeneuve's version of Dune is one of those examples where you can't do. And granted I was warned upon how weird the world of Dune is moreover I was fine with it, because I've seen a lot of weird s**t, but this was one of those things where I was bewildered and confused in terms of story structure and what really didn't need to be put on screen. Through the course of the movie I slowly began to realize that Villeneuve split the entire book of Frank Herbert's Dune, for which is fine in the storyteller's own right, but you can't squeeze the entire first half of the book into just one movie especially when it has all of the little details and all the slow stuff that doesn't pay off at the end of the movie. Furthermore, this was my first time experiencing this and my biggest problem with the movie is that ninety percent of the movie is Paul having premonitions or visions of the future to come as well as a hundred percent of the movie is him fantasizing of Zendaya's character and the payoff to that is they don't meet each other until that last TEN MINUTES OF THE MOVIE. Which brings the spoiled reasons of why I hated the movie and I'm not sorry for spoiling this movie, but the entire first movie consist of the first act of Paul's family going to the desert planet and a coup developing with Stellan Skarsgard's character then the second act is Paul's house arriving at the desert planet and discussing politics then his family's house has fallen literally destroyed then the final act consist both Paul and his mother surviving into the desert and gaining respect amongst the dessert tribe lead by Javier Bardem. So, basically the entire first part of the movie consists of nothing but the most boring parts of any book adaptation I've ever seen and no excitement at all. And the disappointing factor of the movie is David Bautista's character who’s supposed to be this main bad guy in the movie doesn't do a whole lot in the film and Aquaman aka Jason Mamoa doesn't get a deserving Boromir death which again I'm not apologizing for spoiling the entire movie. I know I'm going to have to watch the second part of Dune for which I'm dreading but the thing is, I didn't watch David Lynch's Dune mainly because I'm not ready to watch another Lynch film for many reasons the last time I watched a movie of his was Eraser head and I couldn't take that movie anymore. So, now I'm not sure if I'm really ready to watch David Lynch's Dune yet though I'm going to push myself into doing it but does bring an interesting idea (for which my brother presented me) is pit both versions together and see who did its better Villeneuve's Dune or David Lynch's Dune. As a movie all by itself this was one of the most boring two hours and thirty-five minutes, I've ever been part of moreover hated the movie mainly because of its elements we necessarily needed to have in the movie and with less excitement, for which I'm hoping Austin Butler aka Elvis is going to be the scene stealer for the sequel when it's released on Max. If you've never grew up with the Dune books then I would strongly recommend not wasting your time in watching Dune at all and if you belong to the baby boomer generation or a big fan of the Frank Herbert's book I would highly recommend not watching the movie basically there a ton of films that have much more excitement and are not long boring in terms of story that I would highly recommend watching that's not Dune and if you're mad at me for spoiling the story well I'd present my care face and strongly tell you I'm saving your very soul.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment