Friday, March 29, 2024

Good Will Hunting

 














                                     Well since we are near the end of March, I figured I present at least one Irish themed film maybe? Continuing my journey to expand my movie watching craze of finding films I have never seen, I decided to watch the very movie that made Matt Damon and Ben Affleck household names but most importantly gave the Late great Robin Williams his Oscar Performance of a lifetime. Good Will Hunting was defiantly one of those films that's strangely been on my radar though I never got around to watching it. And of course, you can give me a lip in not seeing this great film, but I'll still give you the answer of I just never got around in seeing it, though it has been on my radar for a while I have to say it was worth seeing from start to finish. 
                                     Will Hunting (Matt Damon) has a Genius I.Q. level but chooses to work as a janitor at MIT. When he solves a difficult graduate-level math problem, his talents are discovered by Professor Gerald Lambeau (Stellan Skarsgard), who decides to help the misguided youth reach his potential. When Will is arrested for attacking a police officer, Professor Lambeau makes a deal to get leniency for him if he will get treatment from therapist Sean Maguire (Robin Williams).
                                     I have to say while watching the movie I noticed a ton of Dunkin Donuts placement coffee's throughout the entire movie and me after watching the amazing Dunkin commercial this year with Affleck, Damon and JLO I was like "OMG it's all merging in the Boston metauniverse", but then I looked up the origins of Dunkin Donuts and noticed that the organization was founded in Massachusetts, so at least that makes sense. Matt Damon started developing the script for Good Will Hunting, as a final assignment for a playwriting class he was taking at Harvard University. Later Damon asked his BFF Affleck to develop the screenplay together and the two men finished the script right around 1994 (the same time Kevin Smith released Clerks), at first, it was written as a thriller about a young man in the rough-and -tumble streets of South Boston who possesses a superior intelligence and is targeted by the government with heavy-handed recruitment. To make a long story short the script itself had to be treated by tons and tons of script doctors to make it better, nah just kidding it was actually Rob Reiner who told the boys to just think more about the relationship between the therapist and patient, moreover offered the services of William Goldman, although he denies it Goldman in his own joking words "I did not just doctor it. I wrote the whole thing from scratch", either way I'm just going to leave it at that. I strangely knew that this was going to be one of those movies that I needed to watch for many reasons. I just never got around to watching the movie through and after seeing what the movie is truly about, I figured now is the time to do so. And really this was a good movie from start to finish especially after watching some clips and seeing some YouTube analysis about the film moreover over would defiantly rank it up in the top ten feel good movies of all time and really what makes the film good are the story and Robin Williams. For starters the story is what kind of intrigued me about the movie especially when it's about a troubled genius who doesn't want anyone getting close and if so pushes them away before they push him away basically going through child abuse growing up and that's really the center of the movie where through the course of the movie you slowly understand Will Hunting as a character and the way Matt Damon is able to portray him is really great acting especially when he really know how to cry on screen, but what I like about the movie is that it shares one of those elements of having the doubts about leaving or starting a new life with someone because you know firsthand or in your own mind that it's not going to turn out well and as a viewer I kind of understand that aspect a little especially when it comes to this film. I don't think you can make this movie without the late great Robin Williams. I mean he really is the center of what makes this film great and is a perfect movie therapist than any other therapist though I can't name any so far. Furthermore, what I love about William’s performance is that he goes through a strain of his own and when he meets with Matt Damon's character, each of them slowly opens to one another and realize that they both share the same pain and by the end of the movie they try to do something new with their lives at least. A side from the fact that it's written by two BFF's who still are BFF's, this is defiantly a feel good movie I would most certainly feel the mood in wanting to watch over and over again with the great story and Robin Williams outstanding performance I would most certainly recommend watching Good Will Hunting from beginning to end, and gives you a sling of hope that may something good can come out of Boston, well except for the Red Sox's, still sore form 04 and 13. 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment