Friday, January 19, 2024

50th Anniversary of Live and Let Die

 







                              Well everyone it's the month of a new year and to be truthfully honest, this was really one of the most lazy and yet hard thing to look for when it comes to watching a movie well finding that one movie to watch to start off the new year, and to be truthfully it had a lot to do with post-Christmas break then suffering from a bad case of the cold furthermore being just lazy it terms of looking for the right movie to watch, to start off the new year of 2024. And to be honest it took a lot of trial and error to find that right movie to talk about more like having that conversational movie review I can talk to you all with and thankfully for Max, Roger Moore's feature debut as James Bond appeared on my phone and it's been quite a long time since I've watched any of Roger Moore's run as 007, so Live and Let Die became one of the greatest choices I've made in a quite a long time, also it's fifty years old so I have to watch it right?
                              When Bond (Roger Moore) investigates the murders of three fellow agents, he finds himself a target, evading vicious assassins as he closes in on powerful Kananga (Yaphet Kotto). Known on the streets as Mr. Big, Kananga is coordinating a global threat, using tons of self-produced heroin. As Bond tries to unravel the mastermind's plan, he meets Solitaire (very, very YOUNG Jane Seymour), a beautiful tarot-card reader, whose magic is crucial to the crime lord.
                              After watching Live and Let Die I've come to the realization that Roger Moore was really my first introduction of James Bond, sure I was a nineties kid and Pierce Brosnan was the 007 of the nineties but at that time my parents wouldn't let me watch those for obvious reasons the expansive sexual content, and if you were my age you'd grew up with cable programs like TNT and they had a good chunk of Roger Moore's films and my Dad would just be watching them like nobody's business and back then in the seventies nudity or sexual content wasn't that bad compared to the nineties which is an understatement since Moore is the oldest to ever play 007. Speaking of Roger Moore yes, the man was 46 years old when he first played Bond and I believe they didn't do a whole lot of sex scenes in his run though again I'm just eye balling this belief, a lot of those sex scenes had to be more shot in the sense of after the intercourse not during or beginning the intercourse because when you’re dealing with actresses like a very, very young Jane Seymour, yeah that would be really, really weird since she was twenty-two at that time when she filmed Live and Let Die. Speaking of Jane Seymour in my childhood years my mom and my sister were obsessive over Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman, and I've seen Live and Let Die a few times and it's still surprising how young that woman was back then I mean she's a cougar now but, in this movie, she was still gorgeous than ever before. Now getting back to the love scenes the fact that yeah from gentle hugs to embracing after love making that's really all those women would do and sure Moore doesn't look that old in the movie but when he says he's 46 to a beautiful young women like Jane Seymour yeah that gets really, really weird upon which I would most certainly be negotiating on what I'm going to show and really I don't know if it was the producers or director Guy Hamilton decision to not make it that weird especially when Man with the Golden Gun was Hamilton's final Bond film. I've said it before that I always kind of looked at Moore's run as 007, as the Adam West of James Bond like when it comes to his films you can always know from a fact that Moore's Bond is going to win in the end, and Moore always had the cringe-st one liners ever, and now having watched his first film I tend to wonder was this the kind of action that the producers at MGM were kind of wanting for the Bond films? Or when the Batman TV series in the mid-sixties was becoming this big trend Bond producers at MGM were wanting this to be that kind of action after watching some of those episodes because if you look at Connery's run the action was much different between 62-65 well sort of, (hence helmet and jetpack coming out of his a**) and then when the seventies came around I sometimes think that the filmmakers saw episodes of Batman and were inspired from those action sequences because some of those sequences like the final fight where the entire set is made of cardboard is just hilarious to see and another personal favorite is when Bond is escaping in a broken airplane and cars continue to crash into actual cardboard airplane's for which I really believe they used tons and tons of cardboard to build some of these sets because that was obviously the most easy thing to break by hand or demolish and finally when Bond is gliding over Mr. Big's hideout it would most certainly be a Batman type filming you'd see on the sixties show of Batman, and honestly I can't answer it because there's a lot of theory's or questions that are left unanswered but are really good discussions to talk about to all Bond fans out there. I will say that, what really makes the movie for me is the some of the what I like to call the white jokes for which I didn't expect hearing nor didn't think that would even be possible to have in a PG rated movie which is my personal yet greatest line ever "Hey man, for 20 bucks I'll take you to a Ku Klux Klan cookout" and I swear when I heard that line I was just flat out laughing because it was funny moreover didn't expect furthermore am a sucker for white jokes, even though when Bond is in Harlem, New York he stumbles upon an all-black night club which is also unintentionally funny because Bond is not doing the best of job blending in since he's the only white man in the club and everyone is looking at him as either a agent or a cop, for which just those little things alone makes the movie entertaining to watch. Now having watched Live and Let Die, I do need to reexamine Roger Moore's run as 007 because yes his films were cliche of course with cringe worthy lines but really if you have a bulls**t detector and a knowledge of watching so many action films from old to new, Live and Let Die is definitely one of those films that's like a fine wine, moreover a good refresher when you're having a hard time finding that one film to start off the new year and Live and Let Die I would highly recommend watching for those who crave movies that are entertainingly bad and yet good as well. 
  
                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment