Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Scrooged


 












                                      Scrooged is another one of those films in my past where I've seen bits and pieces of the film, though never got around to watching the whole movie all together. And since we're in the Christmas spirit I figured well since I'm watching my brother's client I'd watch some Christmas films. Starring Bill Murray in one of his many 80's comedy classics although re-watching Scrooged I really can't see this as one of his best and granted this is coming from me because I'm the guy who watched the original Vacation moreover realized how much I hated that movie, furthermore I don't see this as bad moreover would kind of give this movie a good once over type of a film.
                                     Basically a modern take on the Charles Dickens classic A Christmas Carol, where the modernized version of Scrooge is taking a real life look back on his life showing how he's been a horrible human being and how he can change himself.
                                     I think the best way I would describe the film itself is like the way I viewed the original Vacation, where it just reminded me bad times of family vacations I had over the years and with Scrooged the similarities are there only this time it's you're days at work especially when it's Christmas time and your Christmas bonus is somewhat of either a raise which is a fifty/to a hundred chance or basically a gift card with some goodies which is just one of those moments where you want to forget and in all fairness when I see that they only things you can get is a VCR or a towel in the movie, yeah the similarities are there. Now I'm not saying that Bill Murray is a terrible choice to play this scrooge like character because he does in excellent job playing the a**hole of the group so him playing a horrible boss is there as well as playing a man whose redeemed but again some of the jokes for me at times failed for me moreover was hoping more of him getting his ass kicked, and Carol Kane who plays the ghost of Christmas present does a great job at that but really wished there was more especially from the other spirits as well. The main problem I have with the movie is basically that the story is the same as you've heard when it comes to the story of a Christmas Carol, you know what happens from start to finish and really doesn't do anything in terms of creativity, like I would at least have the writers and filmmakers maybe at least tweek with the story maybe make some certain changes, just something new and different that I'd never expect in a modern telling of a Christmas Carol. Like, if I was doing this movie now I would make the scrooge character as the President of the United States and he's just a horrible human being to everyone makes all of his staff work on Christmas and he raises taxes all over the country and his mentor tells him he will be visited by three spirits and if you don't listen to them riots will happen and all of America will come for his head and by the end of the movie it does but then he says he's sorry then wakes up one day on Christmas morning and goes on a rampage of forgiving everyone and telling everyone to go home then holds a press conference that he's resigning from his presidency, just stuff like this will make it more entertaining and more satisfactions when your making a modern telling of Scrooge. Now from my standpoint I look at this movie as a good once over movie where I can watch this another ten years at least, moreover not saying that the film is watchable because everyone has their Christmas film to watch this season so if you're a fan of Scrooged then I won't hold you back in terms of watching the film this Christmas, though for me this is one of those films that doesn't fit my expectations it terms of a great film or something as good as I remembered. 
 
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment