Thursday, November 23, 2023

November Recommendation: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

 









                                





                                  The thing about monthly movie recommendations is that you must find that one movie that fits the theme of the month, like February which of course hits with chick flick films because of Valentines Day, October being of course Halloween and December mixed with Christmas well, I'll let you do the math. But then there's months out of the year like March or November where I have a hard time trying to find the right movie to fit out of that year and since November is the month of giving thanks aka Thanksgiving, It's one of those months where I really have my work cut out for me because of what would be movies I'd give thanks to, well thanks to my brother he picked a movie to watch with both my niece and nephew (though they both rushed off to bed or got their own things to do) we decided to sit down and watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and of all movies in the world this was the one true movie I most certainly give thanks to.
                                The intrepid explorer Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) sets out to rescue his father (Sean Connery), a medievalist who has vanished while searching for the Holy Grail. Following clues in his old man's notebook, Indy arrives in Venice, where he enlists the help of a beautiful academic, but they are not the only ones who are on the trail, and some sinister old enemies soon come out of the woodwork.
                                 I know you all are going to find this hard to believe, but the third installment of the Indiana Jones films is one of the few films that made me who I am today. And sure you’re going to acted so surprise but that's true, this was one of the few movies my parents owned and I can watch over and over again just like the original Star Wars films the Last Crusade was one of these movies that I was allowed to watch a billion ties over, I mean every scene in this one movie I mimic every time I went outside and played, essentially Harrison Ford was my modern day John Wayne of a hero I looked up to growing up, and granted he was in Star Wars but is portrayal of Indiana Jones is what made him a legend in my eyes, and this was a time I wasn't allowed to watch a lot of movies so Star Wars and Indiana Jones became the two genres of films that were my greatest films to watch before I can be allowed to watch other films. Also was the one film that contains a LOT of sexual content that I never understood growing up like when Indy was asking his father "how did you know she was a Nazi"? And reply’s, "she talks in her sleep" I never understood that when I was maybe seventeen and I was like "UH", hell imagine your own dad being the first man to sleep with the one girl you fell in love with, hell I'd would be traumatized for life. Moreover, when I got older and loved all the Indiana Jones movies (well I still haven't seen the fifth one) they still to this day hold a special place in my heart and re-watching the Last Crusade brought back a lot of great memories I had growing up. Also, this was the first movie I watched with Sean Connery. Furthermore, I didn't know he was James Bond before a friend of mine introduced me to Goldfinger. And the same with learning that both George Lucas and Steven Spielberg are great friends, and both brought this great character to life, so without a doubt both George Lucas and Steven Spielberg are what introduced me and set me on the path of my love for films. Though both Steven Spielberg and George Lucas are responsible for introducing my love of film I would never have loved musical scores without one of the greatest movie composers of all time, John Williams. I mean this is the man who created legendary musical scores from Jaws to Star Wars and even the iconic musical score from Episode I of Star Wars "Duel of Fates" and even John Williams is the reason why I chose to be a Band nerd in High School. With the number of villains in this movie from Julian Glover, the main bad guy of the film whose also been a lifelong General for the Galactic Empire in Empire Strikes Back to the actor who played Admiral Ozzel who morphs into Hitler for which looks lot like the evil German of WWII. But of all the villains in the movie one recognition that needs to be well deserved was a great German bad guy is Michael Byrne who plays the right hand of Julian Glover's character, and his appearance in the movie as well as being in equal to Harrison Ford when it comes to the action sequences is just outstanding moreover is a shame he doesn't get a whole lot of credit, moreover I would rank him in the top five greatest Nazi villains in movie history. Speaking of the action sequences reliving those again is amazing from start to finish moreover Harrison Ford proves how amazing of an action star he is through the course of the movie I mean let’s not forget this guy did staple his own fedora on his own head to keep his hat on, for when he rides a horse against a tank. Everyone will say that Raiders of the Lost Ark is the greatest Indiana Jones movie for which is correct but both Temple of Doom and Last Crusade are also amazing as well because without them we wouldn't have important elements of movie ratings today but more importantly we wouldn't have this film as being the great father and son film and Last Crusade shows, each of Ford's and Connery's acting abilities of playing both father and son who grow to separate from each other but in the end begin to have an understanding and love for each other. Now yes George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford and John Williams are responsible for showing me films that I would still hold a special place in my heart but the two people I owe a lot of thanks for introducing me to this greatest action/adventure movie are my Mom and Dad because deep down it's really them who introduced me to Indiana Jones moreover were good parents in telling me when to look away when I was young. So, for this Thanksgiving I'd urge you to watch the one movie your parents introduced you as well as fell in love with from beginning to the fine frame. 
        


No comments:

Post a Comment