Sunday, August 27, 2023

Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers

 














                                            I don't much write out rare reviews when it comes to documentaries for many reasons I watch them for mostly typing movie reviews I have to get done, working out on my exercise bike, or sorting out and putting away my clothes, though there was something about the new Hulu documentary from Training Day director Antione Fuqua about the rise of Dr. Jerry Buss and his kids buying the LA Lakers for which started the dynasty of the 80's moreover spawned a certain TV show on HBO. Now, I wasn't expecting much out of this show because there was a lot of history I've learned through a ton of documentaries and books I've listen too, but really what made this show moving by the last episode was that it was more about a dysfunctional family running a NBA franchise and some of the stuff I've learned about the Buss family was defiantly moving and a sense that I don't have to worry about how dysfunctional my family is at times for which will get to that.
                                            The rise and unprecedented success of one of the most dominant and iconic franchises in professional sports is told only by the people who lived it.
                                             A side from the first act of the series there really wasn't much to say because I've already know a good portion of what happened in the 80's from again it was sex, drugs and basketball that's basically the best way to describe the Showtime Lakers of the 80's and that's all I know so there's really no need to talk about things I've already known, though in all honesty the business wise was interesting during the 80's because what Jerry Buss was able to accomplish in terms of making money plus promoting the Lakers was very interesting moreover genius in terms of what they were able to get away with especially when it was the eighties and that the economy was blooming at that time, the Buss's really did a good job by taking advantage of that. Then when we got to the ending of Showtime there were a lot of elements I didn't know but found it a little interesting but again that was just meh stories until we got to the Shaq and Kobe era than it got back to the interesting aspects of it moreover Shaq going over to Phil Jackson's house asking him to coach the Lakers and Jackson putting Shaq through a trial of respect that was pretty cool and as a kid growing up in middle school hearing that Phil Jackson was coaching the Lakers I thought was an act of betrayal towards me because I loved Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls along with Phil Jackson they were the greatest team ever and for him to go to the LA Lakers is like Mark McGwire going to the Yankees. But now at the age I'm at now moreover finishing the Last Dance, I really understand Jackson going to the Lakers moreover appreciate him as one of the greatest Basketball coaches of all time furthermore him going to the purple and gold was probably the best decision he's made because he got a new life coaching a team back to the Finals. I will say if there was one basketball player I wished I continue to follow was defiantly Kobe Bryant for many reasons the guy was an exceptional player and during Michael's run as the greatest to ever lived I was kind of resentful of people saying that Kobe is better than Jordan which again is bulls**t and I personally looked at Kobe and the Lakers as kind of enemies but again now into my old age I don't think it's necessarily fair because those guys are complete opposite moreover I had no idea that Jordan looked at Kobe as a younger brother or apprentice that would soon be the next big thing. I’m not going to lie, when I say that I had no idea that Shaq and Kobe had a huge beef against one another moreover hearing that these two wanted to be the main leader and a fight brewing for which broke these guys up, and like I said documentaries like these you learn something's you never knew really happened. Now, the sports history when it comes to the Lakers from 1990 to now is no doubt fascinating but also the business of the franchise between the kids is also fascinating but also moving because when I look at the Buss family and the kids it's like you're typical dysfunctional family where everyone resents one another moreover don't trust another in terms of business transactions and really it does feel like a succession story where you're obviously know that Jerry Buss's kids don't love one another and no doubt he wanted to have get together for which sucks and being the youngest of three yeah it does suck in a way but my mom and dad are more saints compared to his Jerry Buss and his wife. And through the course of the series yeah the kids stories does sound like a NBA version of Succession but once I got to like the last episode and get a twist that I never thought was coming from a mile away that's when I really started to seriously sit down and shut up because that's when you really get to see more that these kids begin to forgive one another especially Jeanie Buss doing what she had to do to own the team, and when Covid happens and you got nowhere to go both of these kids really come together and begin to accept the situations that happens and learn to forgive each other, moreover that really moved me because there are times where I'm annoyed with one of my siblings and now having seen this I really hope in the near future I can re-capture that time I've spent with my siblings instead of seeing the negative aspect of it. Having watched this series moreover thought that Antoine Fuqua did a really good job in bringing this documentary to life and when it comes to documentary style of filmmaking that's a not so simple thing to do, would I be following the Lakers after watching this series, and the answer is very simple HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I mean no doubt I respect the Laker franchise as a whole just like other iconic franchise in the United States other than Soccer, but no way I would wear any sports team that would consist of anything LA or New York for it's just how it is once the St. Louis Rams left for LA I went back to the Dallas Cowboys now granted I should of went to the Chiefs because Patrick Mahomes is awesome but I already used up my free jump train card once you use that there's no going back, and it's the same with New York and Boston or any East Coast or West Coast teams it's nothing personal it's more of I would think if God put his foot down between each part of the United States, it would be both the east and west coast of the United States. Aside from this being a straightforward series about in NBA team from 1979 to now, it's the same history that I already knew moreover didn't think much of it but the family aspect of the final episode which moved me, is the reason why I'd recommend it. So, if you're a Lakers fan or a Basketball fan I would recommend it, that is if you’re obsessing over Winning Time then, I got nothing hell I had a joke for a moment, but it disappeared.
              

No comments:

Post a Comment