Thursday, August 31, 2023

Fletch

 
















                                       The last time I watched a Chevy Chase movie was when I realized how much I hated the movie as well as its Christmas sequel. I mean I hated the movie so much that I had to watch Caddyshack that was a billion times better moreover what I thought was Chevy's best and only good performance. That is until I decided to watch another one of his films Fletch, and granted I didn't think much of it other than seeing a trailer to Confess, fletch starring Jon Hamm. Moreover, the original film was on Tubi, so a free movie is better than anything, but most importantly this was another attempt to expand my horizons in terms of finding movies I haven't seen. 
                                    A veritable chameleon, investigative reporter Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher (Chevy Chase) might drive his editor up the wall, but he always produces great pieces for the newspaper. When the next story is about the drug trade taking place on the beach, fletch goes undercover as a homeless man. Unaware of Fletch's identity, a businessman offers Fletch $50,000 to kill him. Intrigued, fletch decides to unearth the full story behind the offer. 
                                     Now I'll say again this was one of those movies I had little expectancy in terms of how good the movie was, like my bar was so low. This was the first time I was surprised by a movie that Chevy Chase movie especially when this movie is a full-on mystery story not just a typical comedic film starring a comedic actor. Though sure the film itself has some comedic moments and Chase does a good job at that, but this was a first time that I see him show off more of a drama performance especially when it came to some of the most serious scenes where I was a little shocked at times. So, this was really the first time while watching this movie I was impressed by Chase's acting abilities when it came to both comedy and drama at the same time. I must admit while researching the movie this was the first time that I heard the character of Fletch is based on a book by Gregory Mcdonald, who wrote numerous mystery adventures revolving on Fletch and now having heard of this I now want to check out some of those books. And it isn't just Chevy Chase's performance that makes the movie great, but you also have some great supporting cast as well, such as Joe Don Baker playing a great bad guy and a great female lead in Dana Wheeler-Nicholson who plays the love interest to Chase's character. For a standalone movie this was a huge surprise for me in terms of how entertaining a good the movie was, and I put this in competition with both Caddyshack and Fletch as the best Chevy Chase movies alone. Although I should add Hot Tub Time Machine but to be fair that's more of a supporting role, so in all actuality Caddyshack and Fletch are both Chevy's best films combined and in all honesty that's really the truth sorry not sorry. Now, having really enjoyed from movie from start to finish, moreover hearing a sequel that has nothing to do with the books I think for now I'm pretty much am going to pass on Fletch, Lives and move over to Confess, Fletch for many reasons if it has nothing to do with the books than it's obviously not going to be great, but more importantly the first film was out of luck that this was or if going to be enjoyable for me but also one or two Chevy Chase's films are pretty much enough for me. So, if you're a big fan of Caddyshack or love Chevy Chase as a SNL alum then I would highly recommend watching Fletch.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment