Friday, September 30, 2022

Do Revenge


 












                                I can't honestly tell you my choices on what lead me to this bizarre but good movie, and God's truth I really can't explain it to you I'm not joking around when I say that I can't honestly explain how this movie came into my watchlist. Though I'll do the best I can at explaining it because, well it's my job per say. I guess the best way I can describe me finding this movie I was probably binging on YouTube of House of the Dragon and for some reasons search related stuff of Sophie Turner aka Sansa Stark showed up where she overacts about cocaine and for some bizarre sense of reason I had, I simply couldn't stop watching this I wanted to study this. For which lead me all the way to Netflix, Do Revenge is what I like to call as the stepsister to Promising Young Woman combined with Alfred Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train and with a kiss of Clueless. I will say, I was a little iffy on whether to continue watching this movie through, mainly because this was a teen movie and anything teen related wasn't my forte great example trying to get through Friday Night Lights show then desperately erasing it from my mind. But there was something about this movie that impress me in ways I couldn't imagine. Oh, and Sarah Michelle Gellar is in this movie too.
                                Popular Drea (Camila Mendes) wants revenge on her boyfriend for publishing her sex tape, and exchange student Eleanor (Maya Hawke, whose parents just so happen to be Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke) is haunted by a rumor. The two teenagers team up to act against their tormentors.
                                I will tell you the truth on why majority of teen films or shows are officially not my cup of tea. Sure, as a teenager I was huge into watching Smallville secretly watching parts of Bring It On, or watching Varsity Blues because of Ali Larter, but now being 35 years of age and looking at movies like Friday Night Lights or even the show itself I've began to realize that none of these so called teen movies are as good as I want's remembered and moreover felt like their a high school reunion and after years of being away realizing how awful being a teen was moreover for seeing how stupid people can be, now granted I didn't mention Mean Girls, but let’s be honest that movie has Lindsey Lohan before she went super crazy. Though it also had a lot to do with illogic scenarios of decision making like when James Van Der Beek never punching his dad in the face all because he's not taking football seriously, or the insanely dumb love triangle in Friday Night Lights show, where the Cheerleader cheats on her QB boyfriend for the rebellious Fullback friend then when the QB gets back with his cheerleader girlfriend cheats on her with another girl. And I'm not joking just these types of issues alone and I know this sounds insanely dark, but it makes me want to go back in time and shoot up my old high school, sorry not sorry. In god's honest truth, when I go into a movie like this I got to see what the writer and director brings to the game, moreover with a teen movie like this that has some dark comedy you really need to bring your A-game to the table, Jennifer Kaytin Robinson does in outstanding job in creating a twisted world where all of these prep school snobs can get away with so much murder than Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump, what research I found of Ms. Robinson was that she started off her writing career creating a show for MTV call Sweet/Vicious about two college students becoming vigilantes on sexual abusers, so I can see where the subject matter comes in her work. Here's the funny thing, the entire cast is all in their mid-twenties to early thirties and for some bizarre way they all look like teens in this movie well, most of them because once you see Sophie Turner in the movie then it becomes a little funny that she's trying to be so young despite that she's thirty-five. Now, I should point out to everyone before you think about maybe wanting to watch this movie after reading my review I should point out that this film is one hundred percent fantasy, because in fair I may not have rich parents nor went to prep schools but I can tell that there is no way in hell that all of these high school kids can do God knows how much drug use or spreading more STD's than Magic Johnson had during Basketball career, though granted I thought it was humorous moreover liked the idea of spoiled teens trying to look at themselves in the mirror then some refusing too. For which I've kind of like the idea of one popular student who’s at the top of being popular in high school then suddenly turning into in outcast, then having the obsessions of revenge then realizing how low you've gone in terms of being a human. And to be fair when I was browsing through the plot on Wikipedia because I became weary of this being like Strangers on a Train, but once I've seen all of the twist and turns and most importantly the final act of the movie that's when I've started to like the film more because this whole movie is deep down a look in the mirror of one's soul and realize how much you don't see yourself or how much you wanted to build this perfect life then seeing it was all a lie, and the two important characters experience that moreover some of the supporting cast but the main antagonist is the one that doesn't nor refuse to see himself in the mirror, for which that's when I've began to see a lot of similarities with Do Revenge and Promising Young Woman the only difference is that this movie I really like the how the main villain got what he deserved at the end, and seeing how everything turns out in the end for the two important characters. I will say that this was a great movie find, moreover a great movie to watch and granted movies about teens in High School aren't my cup of tea, but there's something about this film that made me impressed in terms of the writing and the direction moreover the vision of these types of movies, hell I hope there's other movies out there that can impress me more. As for a recommendation I would highly recommend it but if you as the audience don't want to watch it on NetFlix, I can understand your reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment