Monday, September 12, 2022

Robin and the 7 Hoods

 













                                So, this is a long story I'm not sure I can reasonably explain in the best way possible. So, my brother told me about this song Mr. Booze, that both Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr, may have written? Anyway, and what I found funny and yet interesting about the song other than it was also used on an episode of Family Guy, was that it’s a bit on the modern side and you can also think about other ways to make this song work in the new generation, for which leads to this movie, Robin and the 7 Hoods, which is a Musical from which I've accepted that no matter what when it comes to Musical's don't accept logic. Although yes, I did give this movie a shot but, in all fairness, I never quite expect how bizarre and in all out confused on what the purpose this film was supposed to be, or in a most honest way of explaining things not a great movie I'd recommend.
                                 Robin and the 7 Hoods is a 1964 American Musical film directed by Gordon Douglas and staring Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr, and Bing Crosby. The Picture features Peter Faulk, Barbara Rush, and an uncredited Edward G. Robinson.
                                  Throughout my years of watching movies, I've begun to understand when it comes to logic in Musicals, there's basically no such thing, which explains why both The Wizard of Oz, Meet Me in St. Louis and Jesus Christ Superstar are my only three favorite musicals’ because they at least have logic. This was one of the many few musicals I can point at and say I don't ever want to watch this film ever again. At first the film seemed promising but through the course of the songs, all I just wanted to see was the Mr. Booze singing. Even watching this movie whole, I still didn't understand what this film was marketed for though in fairness this was supposed to be a spoof of gangster movies, but this just seemed bad on so many levels. And this movie came out in 1964 just two years after Sinatra's best performance in The Manchurian Canidae, for which I still and while writing this review don't understand why he would make something that's so bad. Although in researching this movie I've heard that production was kind of hell for him due to that his close friend President John F. Kennedy being killed, and Frank's son being kidnapped and held for ransom only weeks later, in which yeah I can understand that the man was going through some rough times while making a movie but, this is just me saying this you can always close down production and take couple of months off but again that's just my opinion. What really bothered me about the movie was that this was in fact a spoof of gangster films while using a Robin Hood spin on the story but this doesn't really follow in a Robin Hood story would tell, for example the female character of maid Marriam wants revenge on her father but she never found her killer nor even cared and Sinatra's character is supposed to be this Robin Hood type figure but he's also a horrible person who didn't want the money Marriam gave him so he threw it to in orphanage and that somehow makes him a hero? And at the end of the movie, they basically don't find any justice for the Big Jim character who’s supposed to be this father figure to Frank Sinatra's character. Either way this was one of the many movies I can look at and say that this is just bad on so many levels, and what's disappointing is that I purchased this movie on my phone and now I must live with it. So, listen if you’re thinking about wanting to watch this film I would strongly suggest running away and save yourself, this film is not worth seeing. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment