Wednesday, September 15, 2021

September Recommendation: Promising Young Woman


 












                             There are times were my movie critique knowledge is put to the ultimate test, well in this my September Recommendation this was without a doubt the ultimate test of my movie watching knowledge. I heard about Promising Young Woman though the Academy Awards this year, and was intrigued that the writer/director of the film was pregnant during the making of Promising Young Woman, though sure that sounded like a strange way to be intrigued, but I thought that this woman has some guts to make this happen. Then months past then I saw the film was already out on DVD despite the fact I couldn't find a copy of it on Blu-Ray at Wal-Mart which is weird because I would usually think they would have everything, but he that what happens when you live in the central part of Nebraska. Then I thought to myself ah what the hell, I see what this movie's got see what makes this film amazing and then I watched the whole movie through and I was just shocked and terrified all at once furthermore I thought to myself that I would never in a million years be married and would just stick to being a good person, go to church and never mess with women because you'll never know how crazy they are when you come across one, hell especially when an unknown woman is wanting to follow you and want to be your friend right away despite the fact that you don't know then at all. But re-watching the film again with the Emerald Fennell's commentary in the background I now have in understanding and appreciation for the movie’s ton consider this one of the greatest movies of all time in my book.
                            Nothing in Cassie's (Carey Mulligan) life is what it appears to be -- she's wickedly smart, tantalizing cunning, and she's living a secret double life by night. Now, an unexpected encounter is about to give Cassie a chance to right the wrongs from the past.
                            I knew that this was some kind of rape revenge film, but what I didn't expect this was going to take a lot of psychological toll to my brain moreover not going to lie when I say this but through the course of watching the film for the very first time my mouth never shut back up because of how shocking and somewhat disturbed with fear. And Mulligan's character was just terrifying that I would never in a million years want to cross a woman like her. Speaking of Carey Mulligan, yes this is another movie of hers that I'm recommending in my monthly recommendation but this is her best work ever, this is probably one of the many movies that I look at and say this was her best, she really dives into the role of a woman who is so angered by the injustice of how people look the other way when it comes to rape, and the way she's able to terrorize her victims is just freighting but yet ingenious at the same time. Deep down what makes this film amazing as well is that Fennell's does a great job of creating a revenge film but toning it to a much realistic tone and not including the gun for which I think makes it more interesting for many reasons just killing the person is way too easy and nothing scares people more than exposing them of their darkest secrets or making feel the worst fears they can possibly imagine.  I didn't realize this at first when watching the movie for the second time with the director's commentary and it makes sense that Fennell's was making this as a biblical/Greek tragedy, for which there's a lot of moments where I see a lot of resemblance of the crucifixion's or Cassie having a Halo hovered around her, and to be honest I like the fact that Mulligan's character is given her victims the choice of forgiveness or punishment. Alright, now let’s talk about Emerald Fennell, I honestly don't know a whole lot about her other than she's a writer on a BBC show called Killing EVE and a actress on the Netflix show The Queen, but after watching her film debut I now can know all I need to know in a good way possible. The fact that she was able to create a story that's a breath of fresh air, but most of all giving the film a dark sense of humor along with creating a set environment that springs bright colors and yet shows you the dark and harshness of what comes into the world of Promising Young Woman. Moreover the fact that Fennell included Paris Hilton's song Stars are Blind deserves a lifetime of bonus points because yes I recognized a lot of pop songs in the movie but I never thought in a million years I would hear that song again. Speaking of music, Anthony Willis does a fantastic job as well creating an eerie and creepy themed music to the whole music because yes as we all know the things that happen in the movie are just wrong and shocking but holy crap watching the film for the first time and hearing the music just gave me chills beyond relief. I know the people who seen this film will tell you that this wasn't what they'd hoped to be because we'd all hope for poetic justice, but in all honesty I look at this film differently and just think that the idea that you would have to live with the things you did, that you'd wished to forget I think that's more worse than death furthermore having your life ruined is a much better revenge than just death. So, listen if you’re looking for something new and different I can't promise you that this will give you the ending you would want but I promise you, you'll be shocked and terrified until the final frame. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment