Saturday, August 14, 2021

Lying and Stealing

 













                              Typical movie night, browsing through Netflix, then I spotted the ever-beautiful SI Swimsuit model Emily Ratajkowski, and to be fair as a guy I'd thought that this would be more intriguing than her last film We are your Friends. Though, I than began to realize through the course of the movie, it really wasn't going to be as good as I hoped it would be. The film as you already know is entitled Lying and Stealing, and the film stars Theo James who was in the Divergent movies and, well the Divergent movies and Emily Ratajkowski who I admit as a guy when I saw the cover on Netflix I myself was like "ooh so pretty". Although there was one actor I did recognized in the movie and that was the guy that played Micro in the first season of The Punisher, and shamefully that was it. And in a certain way the film itself has some unique and creative ways when it comes to stealing art, although the film just slowly begins to lose its touch till the final fade to black and end credits. So, anyway let’s talk about the dire consequences of Lying and Stealing.
                            Ivan Warding (Theo James) is a thief, who specializes in stealing art from the elite of Los Angeles. He is obliged to a crime boss and wants to get out of the business. Elyse Tibaldi (Emily Ratajkowski) is an in-debt aspiring actress who is also a con woman. Together they plot one last heist and con that will set both free from their obligations. 
                            On a positive note I have when it comes to the movie, is the creative ways of the stealing of the art sequences it does. Give a great example the first heist that James character does I was oh that makes sense, so granted this is a fictionalized movie but I like the ways the character is able to use realistic ways to get in and out especially when it’s a one man crew and if my memory is correct he does at least two heist in the film and some of the unique ways he's able to pull off each heist I have to admit is pretty cool in how he's able to get away from it. Now that's pretty much it when it comes to the positive side of the movie, because the story itself moreover the direction of the movie goes it was really hard to take serious and I myself thought that this would be a hidden gem but deep down it just wasn't going to be as good as I hoped it would be. Theo James is a decent actor, but in just really doesn't provide the typical good-looking guy that the male audience can look at and root for, and the same goes to our leading lady. I'm sure that Emily is a strong woman in real life but when it comes to a movie like this all she is, is eye candy and all honesty I didn't think she could hold her own as I hoped she would. And when it comes to the story and direction of the movie I just found it so lackluster and more meh to the whole thing especially when one of the heist is come from stealing off a guy who collects Nazi memorabilia, and really now thinking about it I call so many fouls with that concept for many reasons I refuse to believe there's a man out there that lives all by himself and collects things from Nazi Germany because how are you able to explain that to insurance agents or hell even your own tax returns or any person in the whole world, that there's a man or woman out there who has a Nazi collection especially when that person has one of Hitler's paintings, in fact how the hell are you even going to sell that anyway? Ah well, just certain stuff like therefore this movie didn't reach my enthusiasm. The antagonist in the movie I didn't find very threatening at all especially when he's forcing Emily to take part of her dress off and force her to sit on her lap it just looked really weird moreover very sleazy from the look of it. Um, so deep down the film does well in terms intrigues and creativity it sometimes hits high but at the end the film just ends up with shooting itself in the leg. I get it was trying to be the different take of the Thomas Crown affair, but I would of suggest trying to make itself something new. So, if you’re in the mood for a movie like this on Netflix, just walk away because this really wasn't worth watching. 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment