Thursday, May 6, 2021

Mother's Day Recommendation: The Secret Life of Bees

 












                           Mother's Day is coming up so I figured what better way to review a movie my own Mom has recommended me to watch, now to be honest I was a little weary about wanting to watch this for many reasons I am not much of a big fan when it comes to Queen Latifah's movies. Although this movie surprisingly proved me wrong and sure I had a conversation with my mom about what a mother's day movie should be and what she said really does make sense in some ways especially with this movie. Though with this film, it shows a lot of what we look for in life and overcoming the pain we have to go through in life. Dakota Fanning also does a great job in this movie to, moreover lets you feel for her character as well. Although I have some minor gripes with the movie but will get to those in a little bit because right now we're going to about this great film to watch on Mother's Day.
                           Haunted by memories of her late mother and abused by her father (Paul Bettney), 14 year old Lilly Owens (Dakota Fanning) runs away with her friend and caregiver Rosaleen (Jennifer Hudson) to the South Carolina town that holds the key to her mother’s past. There, Lilly meets the Boatwright sisters (Queen Latifah, Sophie Okonedo and Alicia Keys), who takes her in and teach her about Beekeeping. Lilly also discovers the truth about her mother is closer than she thinks.
                            My own Mom is actually taking a hobby in her day life, beekeeping herself so there no coincidence she may of found this movie and told me to watch this, now I'm just assuming so it could be a random movie night she and my Dad had so, it could be one of those things. I will admit watching this film I had that mood of I don't want to watch this for many reasons mainly consist of Queen Latifah not as a person in all honest truth, but it has a lot to do with her choice in movie roles and trust me when every time I think of Miss Latifah I think of those movies with Jimmy Fallon and Steve Martin and I can already look at those films by watching the trailers and I'd think to myself "THAT SUCKS". But with this film I believe she does a great job playing a more wise character in the movie moreover providing a guardianship and guide to Dakota Fanning's character furthermore, Latifah does amazing work along with her fellow co-stars. Though this is the kind of thing that bugs me a little bit, maybe a whole lot but not all of it, is that she does such a tremendous job in a all serious drama but yet she continues to do movies that aren't all that great Valentine's Day, 22 Jump street and Joyful Noise? Now let's not forget this was made in 2008 and those were the movies she made after the Secret Life of Bees, before this great movie she made Taxi and Mad Money. And sure I know it's expensive to live in LA but it’s a real loss of talent when you do such a great job in a movie like this movie, but yet you continue to do movies that after the first look of your future and past movie were on the stupid side. A side from Latifah's great performance, Dakota Fanning really does a great job playing the main protagonist whose haunted by traumatic events that occurred in her past life moreover makes me as in audience member care about her and her struggles when it comes to overcome the bad things that are happening in the South parks of the U.S. but yet still living for some of the goods stuff that happens along the way. Moreover I think that's another thing about what makes this movie truly amazing, is that when it comes to making a movie that's based on the civil rights movement in the sixties, you really have to develop characters that will make you care for them until the final frame furthermore you really have to have that relate too aspect of it and the shock of what happens to these characters at the very end moreover have actors and actresses that will most certainly pull their own wait in making each of their characters believable, and everyone in this movie does exactly that and the same goes to the writer/director of the film Gina Prince-Bythewood. This film was really great to watch furthermore surprised me in a big way of how well directed and well-acted in what a drama should be, and a lot of this credit goes to my mom who loved every second of this movie and took the time to tell me about her experience in watching this film was for her so, in writing this review my mom deserves a hundred percent of the credit. So, in closing if you have a mom and general speaking majority of us do in some ways, take the time and ask her if she has a movie, she wants to watch or recommend watching on this Mother’s Day. Happy Mother's Day to all Mothers out there.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment