Friday, October 30, 2020

Mulholland Drive

 






                 

                           I've seen parts of David Lynch's Mulholland Drive a while back. Now I decided in my finest hour of boredom to rent this movie on Google because, well you know, what the hell, I guess. And of course, I've read constant articles about critics stating that is was one of the greatest films of the new millennium. So, going into watching this trippy mystery of a film I have kept in open mind about it, now that I have watched the movie from start to finish how does this film hold up for me? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh, I meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan it's okaaaaaaay, I guess? Now look if you’re going to take offense of what I'm going to say please, just take a minute and think to yourself when was the last time you've watched the film and if you say that it's been quite a while since you've seen it then take time to watch the movie itself and say to yourself if any of the subplots make any sense to you, or any of the strange characters that appear make any sense to you as well. Because when I watched for the first time (in quite a long time), the main plot I understand, but it was some of the subplots and the strange characters in the movie I was just "okay what does this have to do with the film and for the love of God what just happened? So, anyway let dive deep into Mulholland Drive and why I say this is not the greatest movie of all time.
                            A dark-haired woman (Laura Elena Harring) is left amnesiac after a car crash. She wanders the streets of Los Angeles in a daze before taking refuge in an apartment. There she is discovered by Betty (Naomi Watts), a wholesome Midwestern blonde who has come to the City of Angels seeking fame as an actress. Together, the two attempts to solve the mystery of Rita's identity. The story is set in a dream-like Los Angeles, spoilt neither by traffic jams nor smog.
                            Now I get the main story line of the whole movie is in a sense of a dream during the first act of the film, and that the synopsis of the film is basically the somewhat the whole idea of wanting to live the more glamourous live but never happens at all plus the jealousy and betrayal to go along with it as well. Both Naomi Watts and Laura Elena Harring are exceptional actress and this was their big brake furthermore I must praise them for doing scenes that required them to break out of their comfort zones. With all of that being said what truly bothers about the movie is the subplot's during the first act of the movie, now sorry not sorry when I say that the first act of the movie is basically a dream through the course of the film, but what bugs me about it is why does this film require a subplot of Justin Theroux's character being threaten by the mafia for not picking a girl they want for the movie, and why do we have these insane, strange like characters especially the creepy old couple that for some reason become little tiny people for some reason like your high on drugs or meth. And, all these questions just prove my point because there is hardly any construction at all with the synopsis to the whole film. Even the movie trailers just show you the first act of the movie because they don't want to reveal how insane furthermore dumb founded of the second act becomes. Alright, now I really have to do a stopping point because the more I talk about this movie the more I hate it all together, but to all those people out there who consider this train wreck of a film the greatest movie of the twenty-first century, I challenge you to re-watch this film because I sure as hell know you haven't seen this movie in quite a long time and want to hear if this makes sense to you because the whole structure of the film makes absolute no sense to me, and stand by my views in say the film itself is okay and praise Naomi Watts and Laura Elena Harring's performances were grand to see moreover give praise for their bravery, but I will never say that this film alone is the greatest film of the twenty-first century, not by a long shot. And sorry not sorry to all of those who are traumatized or saying I don't know what I'm talking about but for a movie that's two hours and thirty minutes long of strangeness that happens every corner with no explanation I can't except that especially when it's directed by a guy who’s a complete nut-job of a man, and so in closing if I had a choice between Interstellar and Mulholland Drive I would choose Interstellar in a heartbeat because that movie makes more sense than this madhouse of craziness.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment