Monday, June 22, 2020

Hardcore Henry











 

                            Decided to go through my Blu-Ray collection for at least something to watch since, well we're still in a so called lock down. Luckily I found a movie that I still think is awesome after watching it four years ago in the theaters, Hardcore Henry a film that takes first person action to the next level. Russian filmmaker Ilya Naishuller first started the first person camera work while directing majority of his music videos with his Rock Band he does on the side. Then he decided to use his skills to make a movie through the first person perspective using Go-Pro camera's. Now that's what I call a man making it work moreover making something new and different. Even got help from Wanted director Timur Bekmambetov to help finance the movie along with Sharlto Copley in probably one of his best one man performances. And I got to say watching this film again was still amazing to see. I know a lot of people didn't quite understand this film, which explains why it didn't receive a whole lot of respect but honestly I don't care what most people think I consider this as one of the best underrated film of the last decade and also, for a movie that only cost 2 million dollars to make plus made back 16.8 million dollars at the box office that's got to be impressive.
                            Awaken in a mysterious laboratory with no memory of his past, Henry is brought back to life by Estelle (Haley Bennett) who claims to be Henry's wife. All of a sudden Henry's life becomes in danger when a strange mercenary Akan (Danila Kozlovsky) abducts his wife. With the help of complex man named Jimmy (Sharlto Copley) they plan to rescue Henry's wife furthermore destroy Akan's army before its too late.
                            Now when I actually saw the trailer for the first time I was actually intrigued from the look and the idea of a first person action film, plus I'm a man who just wants to see something new and different. And I still think this film is great film from start to finish. And the way they coordinate a lot of the action sequences is really impressive and exciting to watch hell I some times look up those scenes on YouTube and it still amazes me on how they were able to make those shots look good. I think one of my favorite action sequences is where Henry is chasing a guy all of Moscow and the fact that you’re able to look how dangerous some of those stunts look and how creative some of the transitions are sometimes. The fact that the films cost about 2 million is really impressive because I actually thought that the film cost a lot to make but the way they were able to make the film at least 2 million bucks is amazing, hell I can go further and consider it a great low-budget action movie even though I don't know a whole lot of them other than El Mariachi by Robert Rodriguez. Sharlto Copley does an amazing job playing a complex character who in a sense have a dozen or so multiple personalities and the way he's able to go from one side of his character to another is incredible and I got to give him credit to work outside the box, Haley Bennett does good work playing this mysterious woman who you know is the reason for Henry to keep going but you don't know a whole lot about her. It's still strange to me that this film didn't receive a whole lot of respect because I thought the story is solid the action sequences are the most creative aspect I've seen in any other action film to date. All though you can't win all respect from people, furthermore I guess people can't handle to much of the first person experience, but if you haven't seen this film I would strongly suggest watching this film during the pandemic were in now, and I promise you won't be disappointed from beginning till the end.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment