Friday, June 19, 2020

Father's Day Recommendation: Field of Dreams










                  
                   Fathers Day is coming soon and I figured in this time of depression and idiotic lunacy that is happening in the world today I figured, I recommend a film that really puts a smile on all baseball fans face moreover my own father who is a huge St. Louis Cardinals fan furthermore got me into loving this movie. The film I'm referring to is Field of Dreams, this beloved film alone was my first introduction to Kevin Costner and my first tale about Shoeless Joe Jackson and the 1919 Chicago White Sox, and I must say watching this film again brings back great memories. Hell, when I was a kid I used to believe if I looked closer I might see old ballplayers coming out of the cornfield that was next to my once elementary school, I use to think Shoeless Joe was the greatest ballplayer till I realized, I wasn't even alive to watch him play or even seem him, hence he died in 51. When I was in eighth grade I even wrote a speech report about him, so I can go on for hours and hours of how much I loved this movie and still consider it one of the Greatest Baseball films of all time tied with Major League. So to all men and women who have fathers that loved the game of Baseball, I would suggest taking the time this father's day weekend to relive the greatness of Field of Dreams.  
                   Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) lives on a farm in Iowa with his wife and daughter, moreover a fan of Baseball past on by his late father. Until Ray begins to hear a mysterious voice he goes on a quest of discovery and perhaps a sense of healing and love for the game of baseball and a nice game of catch. 
                   Hands, down one of the greatest films of all time and frankly one of the best Baseball films tied with Major League. It's kind of amazing how through the course of your life when you watch a film you get to have a different experience, like when I was a kid I always thought you'd see past Ballplayers come out of cornfields. Now when you are all grown up furthermore watch it again for the first time you have a different experience also see a more meaning to the film and the greatness of Baseball, moreover getting a second chance at life and being able to heal and make amends for the past. So when I was a kid my first memory was watching a lot of movies my Mom and Dad grew up on like all Star Wars films 1-6, the Indiana Jones films and a lot of John Wayne films, now I don't have a vague memory of when I sat down and watched Field of Dreams but I do remember my parents either renting the film or taped the movie on VHS and I probably watched it a million times because I would always go out to my nearest elementary school with a ball and bat and see MLB players from the past, unfortunately, that never happened but hey, can't hurt to dream at least and then that became my love of baseball through hearing about how great the 90's Atlanta Braves were until my Dad and brother had to sit me down and say look you're going to root of the Cardinals and you are going to like it. Although that all changed when my Dad took the whole family to St. Louis to watch the Cardinals in 1998, and that pretty much sealed my love for the Cardinals because that was the year I saw Mark McGwire hit his 17 home run, so yeah I said it I still to this day consider Mark McGwire as one of my hero's and if you can't except that well then just SUCK IT. Okay now back to the movie, I still consider this as one of Kevin Costner's greatest roles of all time, I mean he's basically playing a modern-day Noah trying to build a baseball field and all the mid-westerners think he's crazy and really he's the perfect guy to do that moreover for a guy who's born in California he does a great job channeling the mid-west. Now I still to this day consider Ray Liotta as my Joe Jackson even though he's made only two great films of all time this film and Goodfellas. Now I don't know if there's anyway to describe the incredible performance James Earl Jones provides in the films, sure he will always be remembered as Darth Vader, but to me, I always look to him as the Voice of God so when I go and meet my maker I would hear his voice, and really he's the one person in this entire insane asylum I call the world, where he can make the people will come speech, sure I tried to hear Vin Scully's version on YouTube but it's not the same, sorry Bob Costas. So, everyone, I would defiantly consider this to be your weekend film to watch this Saturday and Sunday, mainly in a time of confusion and lunacy that is happening in the world today, we all need a movie to put a smile in our face. And even though there will always be a pain, poverty and injustice in this screwed up world but there will always thank the lord, Kevin Costner and James Earl Jones’s performance and also Field of Dreams. And I dedicate this to all Fathers especially my Father who loved the Cardinals this latest recommendation and to say thank you for getting me into loving the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment