Thursday, August 29, 2024

August Recommendation: Rope

 












                                    In a sense I was really at a loss of what movies I was trying to recommend for my monthly recommendations. At first it was supposed to be Boy Kills World, unfortunately after watching the movie I felt a little down about the plot twist so really as I've said I was going through a movie watching drought. Though I began to realize that I haven't really recommended a good classic movie that would usually see in either Turner Classic Movies or basically any classic movie that no one has ever touched or has never seen. And really Alfred Hitchcock's Rope save the day for me and more importantly the best decision I've ever made because any Alfred Hitchcock's films age like fine wine.
                                    Just before hosting a dinner party, Philip Morgan (Farley Granger) and Brandon Shaw (John Dall) strangle a mutual friend to death with a piece of rope, purely as a Nietzsche-inspired philosophical exercise. Hiding the body in a chest upon which they then arrange a buffet dinner, the pair welcome their guests, including the victims obvious fiancée (Joan Chandler) and the college professor (James Stewart) whose lectures inadvertently inspired the killing.
                                    Surprising fact, Rope is the first in a sense of my personal view where there is no Hitchcock Blonde (all the actresses Hitchcock cast where blonde), for which really was the first time I realized this, while watching the second time around. Rope I believe was one of those movies that I had never seen granted I've never seen all of Hitchcock's films and my brother just picked this movie randomly and watched it from start to finish and thought that this was one of the greatest Hitchcock films, and so, re-watching the movie again like I said earlier his movies age like fine wine, because the camera angles and the suspense is still there and you still get that chill on your back that you will still feel your own a** being on the edge of the couch you’re on. Surprisingly enough this was the first collaboration between legend Jimmy Stewart and Alfred Hitchcock for which I knew these men worked together hell my first movie between the two was Rear Window and that was one of those films I remember my parents renting at the local library. And this was the first film where two legends of film both working together on an experimental film that had never been done before until Birdman. I think that's the best way to describe Hitchcock's Rope is the first experimental film that used the concept of long camera angles with very little edits, it was the infamous Birdman movie before director Alejandro Inarritu brought Michael Keaton's career back to life. The film alone had to do with a lot of rehearsals so you can keep the flow of the camera going and even when you watch the film you'll slowly notice where the cut of the film was made. I can go on and on about how great Jimmy Stewart is in the movie I mean all of the movies he's made with Alfred Hitchcock are always his best performances, but really the scene stealer throughout the movie is John Dall's character whose the real psychopath behind the murder and does such a great job playing a monster who has no remorse for what he's done as well as doesn't care about the fact that his own friends as well as his college professor worried about the victim. Now deep down I can go on and on about how great the movie is but deep down I can tell that everyone has not seen this movie before and really I don't want to spoil anymore details but Rope is most certainly one of those movies I'd highly recommend watching for a billion reasons it has great camera angles it shows very little and you have to pay attention to what the actors are thinking and another thing in what makes this film great is the amount of facial expressions as to what the characters are thinking makes this film great as well as the reveal. And once you watch the film for the first time the more you want to go back and just study more in the film in terms of what you missed as well as some of the little details. Sadly, the film alone is not in any streaming services though wouldn't hurt to keep a look out right? And really if you feel the need of a movie to expand your horizons Rope is most certainly the one Hitchcock film worth the purchase.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment