Wednesday, December 7, 2022

The Menu

 













                                One of the rare few times I ever get to see a movie where I know this was going to be an amazing ride, I mean sure Top Gun: Maverick was a fun ride too, but in all honesty, I did not expect it to be good as it was. But the Menu had me intrigued from the first time I saw the trailer and I began to play a game with myself in predicting of what this film would be and, in all honesty, I never thought nor never predicted what the film would truly be, and I believe it to be the best movie of 2022. Now before I go any further I'd like to take a moment to express one little flaw about AMC theaters, sure the concessions are great in all, but holy crap if you're nearby movie theater is a an AMC theater, please take your time in not arriving when the movie starts because in all honesty they don't start when they're supposed to first you have this bizarre promotions of God knows what, then you have trailers that I have no interest in watching and I honestly don't know if your wanting to watch previews to movies in which I have no interest in watching, hell I even thought I was watching ten trailer all together moreover had to look at my Fitbit because I was so bored and wondering how much of my life was gone from sitting through previews I have no interest in seeing. So, what I am trying to say to you all is basically this do not rush to the movie theater right away if you want to see movie previews there is no crime in arriving on time.
                                A movie that depicts the foreseeable future in which Gordon Ramsey will go completely insane and build a restaurant on an island. Then proceeds to kill all his customers and eats them. Or does he?
                                 Okay, all jokes a side I have to say that this was one of the most unique and ingenious films I have ever seen. The thing I have always said when it comes to suspense or horror combined is that they must be things that scare us the most like and Alien infecting the space station or a dead child molester who comes into teenager's dreams or a par of psycho's stalking people and forcing them to play movie trivia. And what you have with this movie is a High End or Iron Chef whose all about perfection when it comes to his food or treats it like its religion but also tells a story through the course of the movie which are components about his life but then you get to see a more bizarre turn and then turns more darker but with a touch of comedy that goes along with it. Another great example is the 2019 hidden gem Ready or Not, where you find out your new in laws are a satanic cult and are rich moreover are hunting you in order to perform a sacrifice, for which also has some great comedic value to it. A fun fact I found about the movie is that one of the writers of the films Will Tracey dined at Cornelius Sjomatrestaurant during a honeymoon and later suggest a story to Seth Reiss inspired by the experience, so fellow upcoming writers who are wanting to write movies, pay attention to your life experiences because you never know what ideas may come up. I have to say, the fact that both Adam McKay and Will Ferrell produced the movie together is cool, I mean despite their lack of making good choices in their movies is cool that they find a film that can be potential is cool. Mark Mylod who has made a movie for Sacha Baron Cohen but made his mark in television does a fantastic job creating both a mystery aspect to the movie but also slowly does well with both horror and comedy fantastically almost like a dark Alfred Hitchcock movie. I am going to leave Ralph Fiennes for last because there is a lot of things, I have to give him praise for. I'm firstly going to start off with Nicholas Hoult who does a fantastic job playing the over the top tourist whose a really piece of s**t when you get to know him through the course of the film and then you slowly realize how big of a douche bag he really his when you find what his true purpose, I got to say that Hoult aka Beast does great work playing a turd that's only there as a foodie or tourist and doesn't care about anyone. I've always been a fan of Anya Taylor-Joy and I believe she is becoming a modern day horror heroine with movies like Split (which was Okay-ish), Last Night in Soho which is my favorite movie of hers and now this movie which she once again does a great job playing the heroine of the whole movie, I always through her movies viewed her as this mysterious and sexy woman almost reminiscing to like Marylin Monroe in Don't Bother to Knock or Jennifer Connelly in Dark City, and with this movie I like the fact that she does play this mysterious woman whom we don't know at first just that she maybe Hoult's girlfriend but when we get done through the first act we begin to understand who she is and what she does in order to survive. Ralph Fiennes is hands down the best part of the whole movie him and Anya Taylor-Joy too as well as Nicholas Hoult, but Ralph Fiennes does a fantastic job playing this madman chef whose lost his feel of food and proceeds to take revenge on the world and cares more about food then human beings, which is why I basically viewed this as a real life Gordan Ramsey going psycho. I would love to go on and on about how great this movie was and how surprised I was about how this movie went down, but I do not want to spoil this movie for everyone because I want them all to see this great movie of 2022, the fact that it is a different kind of horror gave me the reason to go see the movie all together. I doubt that the movie is still in theaters or not so if it is at your local movie theater, I would highly recommend finding a babysitter and go see this great film from start to finish.
             
                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment