Wednesday, December 28, 2022

The Bishop's Wife

 
















                                     Technically yes Christmas has ended but to all Christians, the last day of Christmas is on January 5th. For which is a lot to explain of course, but bottom line it was a Christmas afternoon when my mom recommends me watching The Bishop's Wife. I had no idea that this was the original movie that was remade into another movie called the Preachers Wife, starring Denzel Washington and the late Whitney Houston. With this movie came out in 1946, stared Cary Grant Loretta Young and David Niven, for which in all reality this was defiantly a Christmas movie worth seeing just because it is a movie, I have never seen but always good to watch during Christmas time. 
                                     Dejected by his efforts to raise money to build a cathedral, Bishop Henry Brougham (David Niven) beseeches heaven for guidance, and is visited immediately by Dudley (Cary Grant), who claims to be an angel. Henry is skeptical, then annoyed when Dudley ingratiates himself into the household as his assistant--and worse, wins the attentions of Henry's long-suffering and kindly wife (Loretta Young). When Dudley continues to intervene in Henry's struggles, the bishop decides to challenge Heaven. 
                                      I have to say of all Christmas movies I have seen this is one of those hidden treasures that I can point at and just be "okay, I can defiantly watch this", for many reasons it is not like the Home Alone first two films where you have seen over and over or like A Christmas Story or even Christmas Vacations where you've seen them over and over and get tired of the jokes. This was one of these movies that you will not roll your eyes and go "I've seen it" granted I have not seen The Preachers Wife, but what I am trying to say it is a hidden gem that will refresh your standards of a Christmas film. What I like about the film is that Angels are supposed to be these mysterious figures that take human form and they just come out to help a person in need like Cary Grant does in the first opening of the movie, Cary Grant does a fantastic job playing the Angel sent to help David Niven in need of guidance and deep down helps not just him but his family as well moreover given them in open mind and gleam of hope. I've seen Murder by Death and Guns of the Navarone and it feels like David Niven hasn't aged a day it's like watching this movie and he's looks the same which is weird, both him and Jimmy Stewart have one thing in common. Both men were visited by Guardian Angel's in each of their movies and both we are like uh I refuse to believe you; uh I think you are a fraud just playing the same nonbeliever even though the Angels show each man things that were impossible. For which in fairness when you see your guardian Angel for the first time, yeah, we as a person would not believe it for a minute or two, but in all honesty, I would not be like Jimmy Stewart that would constantly question Clarence in every scene. In many ways this is one of those movies that I would most certainly watch next December and Christmas time, it is a nice feel-good film that you can defiantly watch for the first time and watch from start to finish. Even though yes this is a late recommendation this is one of those movies my mom told me to watch and of course she is always right. So, Merry Christmas everyone I hope you all had the best Christmas of 2022. 
           

No comments:

Post a Comment