Friday, November 11, 2022

10 Year Anniversary: Haywire

 
















                                   Now this classic Steven Soderbergh movie is somewhat a 2011 film, but I'm in charge here furthermore I saw this film in January of 2012, so I declare it as a ten-year anniversary of Gina Carano's first movie Haywire. Throughout my teenage years I've there's always been action movies where the woman finally break the sexist barrier, granted they did that during Lynda Carter's time as Wonder Woman, actually they've been doing it for quite some time with women in action films wearing skimpy outfits looking bad ass great examples Kate Beckinsale in the Underworld films Mila Jovovich in the Resident Evil sequels and let's not forget the most famous one Hallie Berry in Catwoman and Jennifer Garner in Elektra, for which yeah I'm all for women kicking ass and looking good but mentioning these examples I can honestly say that those films alone weren't as good as I remembered them or majority of the fights in those films where all choreographed along with a lot of wired work. But when this movie came along, along with Gina Carano it was a different type of female action movies that I've never seen.
                                   Mallory Kane (Gina Carano) is a highly trained operative for a government security contractor. Her missions take her to the world’s most dangerous areas. After Mallory successfully frees a hostage journalist, she's betrayed and left for dead by someone in her own agency. Knowing her survival depends on learning the truth behind the double cross, Mallory uses Black Ops training to set a trap. But when things go awry, Mallory knows she'll die unless she can turn the tables on her adversary.
                                    Sure, Charlize Theron does it awesome with her work in Atomic Blonde moreover did her own stunts and showed that woman can punch hard with the boys. But I personally believe it was Gina Carano that started off with realistic town of fighting moreover showing that women can be both beautiful and fierce when it comes to fighting and this was 2012 this was long before Ronda Rousey and Charlize Theron, but when I was first introduced with this movie moreover heard that Gina Carano is a UFC fighter I was defiantly intrigued mainly because I can believe that she can handle herself in fight sequences furthermore she can do her own stunts and doesn't need any stunt doubles when it comes to the action sequences. A lot of the supporting cast are even good as well such as Ewan McGregor as the quote unquote villain and the Late Bill Paxton playing Gina's dad which I thought was awesome seeing his face in the film, though I had to raise a glass and salute to the great man, Channing Tatum was okay as always playing the quote unquote love interest? Towards Gina Carano and I liked Michael Douglas's character as he plays an unexpected ally towards Carano's character. I believe the more fascinating story, in how this idea for the movie came into blown was director Steven Soderbergh was simply just channel surfing on TV and stumbled upon a UFC Fight Night where Gina Carano was fighting in and just demolishes her opponent for which blossomed into his idea of wanting to make a spy movie and the rest was written. The other surprising thing I've learned while researching the movie was Lem Dobbs who written the screenplay was also the co-writer behind another great science fiction flick Dark City, for which I have known idea at that time, so there's another reason why this movie is awesome. If I had to pick one thing I wasn't particularly fond of was choice of music to go with a spy movie, and Soderbergh's frequent music collaborator David Holmes who did Out of Sight and all three Ocean's movies came in to compose the score, although I'm not sure a jazz themed spy music would of worked well with this, I mean sure you can use jazz music when you’re doing a heist movie like Ocean's Eleven but when you have a woman who can do her own fighting should at least amp up the music with some rock and roll themes I mean for God's sake she an MMA fighter let's bring in some hard rock or punk rock in the mix. For a hidden treasure, I still love the movie for what it is, and will always appreciate a woman like Gina Carano doing her own action and so, I'd still recommend watching this hidden gem if your big into female action films and appreciate them for what they are. 
           

No comments:

Post a Comment