Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Top Gun Maverick

 
















                      Well, everyone the impossible has happened and no I wasn't really intending on wanting to watch this movie nor a movie I was hoping to avoid this year. But unfortunately, a lot of my family members I'm not going to say who, have urged me to take my father for a birthday movie. And surprisingly enough, Top Gun Maverick wasn't all that bad. Now, granted I wasn't going to lie this was not on my radar of movies I wanted to watch at a theater, and not only was the expectations for the movie so low to my feet I wasn't at all wanting to watch this movie plus having to sit through ten minutes worth of previews that I don't want to waste my time in want to watch on YouTube but I'm suddenly forced to watch them by movie theater standards. For which is why if I ever buy a movie theater, I will make a note of deleting all previews of movies I deem to be nothing but crap.
                      After more than 30 years of service as one of Navy's top Aviators, Pete "Maverick" Mitchell (Tom Cruise) is where he belongs pushing the envelope as a courageous test pilot and dodging the advancement in rank that would ground him. Training a detachment of graduates for a special assignment, Maverick must confront the ghosts of his past and his deepest fears, culminating in a mission that demands the ultimate sacrifice from those who choose to fly it.
                      You know that saying of the sequel is better than the original? Well, I can argue the first Godfather is still better than the successor and Batman Begins is equal par with the Dark Knight, but I will argue and state that Top Gun Maverick was a million times better than its successor, for a gazillion reasons this was a much serious story then the original moreover took Navy pilots much serious than the original and not making them such complete douchebags though there is one in the second film that's somewhat of a douche but hey, we all have to have that one guy that looks like a douche. And let’s be frank its better than my other analogy I have about Navy Pilots but since we live in a world where everyone doesn't have a sense of humor I just sticking with that fact. Strangely as this sound with Tom Cruise being weird with his religious beliefs I have to say him playing a certain father like figure for the young pilots was pretty cool on his part, and in all truthful I like the fact that he really doesn't mess around when it comes to being a Dad like figure with some of these young bloods in the movie, for which is something new and different in an odd way especially when you have some of the scenes with Miles Teller as Goose's son. I will say the best scene in the movie when it comes to dialogue scenes was Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer, and really what I love about it was that Val Kilmer doesn't have a lot of acting scenes he just has his stillness and ability to listen to Cruise monologue about his biggest fears and regrets, and you can really see the love and respect these two men have for one another all in that one scene, moreover with very little scenes Kilmer has in the film I can honestly say that was one of his best acting in all of the films I've seen him in. Now, I'm just throwing this out and see who agrees with me, but I will argue and say that Jennifer Connelly is one of the most gorgeous actress of my generation moreover I will say that if there was any middle age woman I would totally hit one it would most certainly be Miss Connelly and if you don't believe me watch this movie along with The Rocketeer and Dark City, and I don't care if she's married to Vision aka Paul Bettany. What really makes the film better than the first film is that the jet scenes are flown by actual Navy Pilots instead of the actors meaning all the scenes you see with the actors in the Jets are actually flown by real pilots but yet for some reason where stations some were even, I don't know where they put them in. And I can imagine that Tom Cruise may have argued with the Navy in saying that he does his own stunts but I can honestly tell that the pilots were saying to Cruise "Tom don't make me kick you’re a**", but what makes them great is that they really felt real and more scary to be in and really I would say that those dog fights were some of the best Jet scenes I've ever seen on the big screen, which is why this film is a billion times better than the original. If I had to add one complaint, I have with the film its mainly the predictability with the film because really throughout the film I was still having this though of well everyone's going to be okay I mean come on Tom Cruise haven't died in any of his movies, though what can you do about it really killing Cruise would be like killing America. I think in all honesty the original film was basically made to be a hallmark channel, romantic film for the ladies, for which is understandable, but I will put my foot down and say that this latest installment or twenty years in the making sequel is a billion times better than its predecessor. Moreover, I will also say that this is one of Tom Cruise's top five best performances. 
          

No comments:

Post a Comment