Sunday, April 10, 2022

The Godfather Part II

 













                                I finally sat down and watched this amazing sequel from one of the greatest gangster movies of all time, The Godfather Part II. Now before all of you say anything about what took me so long to watch it, when I was doing this adventure full time, I've seen the bottom barrel of the worst movies in Hollywood and it was so bad that I was seriously suffering from PTSD (figuratively speaking) for the fact that there were no good quality films to watch in the theaters, that's basically how bad it gotten. And yes, I've watched The Godfather some time back but that's basically the main reason as to why I've haven't continued onto the second installment. I will say this though, now after watching the movie I understand now how contrarian, the Academy Awards is especially when not picking the right award to the right category and if you’re referring to Al Pacino not getting an Oscar for his portrayal of his greatest movie role as Michael Corleone then you just won a thousand dollars in gas money. But will have to leave it there right now let’s talk about the first and only sequel to win Best Picture.
                               The compelling sequel to "The Godfather," contrasting the life of Corleone father and son. Traces the problems of Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) in 1958 and that of young immigrant Vito Corleone (Robert De Niro) in 1917's Hell’s Kitchen. Michael survives many misfortunes and Vito is introduced into the life of crime.
                                One of the many films I will say I need to question the ways the Academy Awards does especially when it comes to picking the winner, though they were all right on the categories but deep down I'm talking about biggest robbery in Oscar’s history was not giving Al Pacino the award for his greatest performance in Cinema history. Though he was in the supporting role of the first Godfather this film is where he truly shines as Michael Corleone for one this a film where he becomes a bad person to a monster by the end of the film, and his ability to portray his emotions on screen is just amazing to watch furthermore he's really the type of person I would be scared to double cross or have him come to my house unexpected. In the first movie we see him be more of a War Hero and caring individual to his girlfriend Kate, then through the course see him become a more different and darker person. This movie he really becomes a bad person to a more of a monster by the end though sure Vito was a bad person but deep down he was a man trying to survive in America and taking more care of his family while Michael thinks more about his family business then his own family and pushing away the very people, he cares about especially his wife. And Al did an exceptional job playing a villain that's in a sense a respectable person but you have absolutely no sympathy through the course of the movie, and deep down this was the only performance other than the first Godfather I can look at and say that this was Pacino's greatest performance but yet the Academy didn't honor him well enough, for which I'm starting to realize that either the Academy Awards are a bunch of contrarian's or they don't watch movie's at all and just pick the most popular actor out there because in all reality everyone knows that Godfather Part II was his greatest performance of all time and not A Scent of a Woman. Robert De Niro I'll admit did a great job playing a young Vito Corleone, for a movie that's spans through his young life moreover speaks Italian through the whole movie is impressive on behalf of De Niro moreover I love the fact that he really does nothing facing with the character than just impersonate Marlon Brando's performance in the first Godfather movie. Both performances were amazing from Pacino and De Niro and the directing Francis Ford Coppola was outstanding as always but I believe the great surprise of this whole movie was John Cazale as Fredo Corleone, he as always was great in the first movie but he really stood out in the second film especially when he has is one on one time with Michael and spills out his emotions of having being stepped on all the time but in all honesty it really hits home with me in a strange way because I sometimes have that experience but this is between family and in all honesty I just felt for Fredo despite his bad deed he does to the family, for which I'm going to stop right there because I don't want to spoil this for anyone who haven't seen the first two Godfathers. Both Godfathers I and II are the greatest gangster films of all time except for III, they both stand the test of time in terms of what Gangster films are and what they can inspire a new generation, so if you ever feel for an adventure into the heart of crime I would highly recommend watching the Godfather Part II and keep in mind things do happen through the course of the movie despite the fact that the runtime is three hours and twenty-five minutes. 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment