Monday, January 27, 2020

The Gentlemen










                        With the beginning of a new decade is it possible to have a good movie to come out in the month of January a month were it's always the crème deli crème of terrible movies. Well, surprisingly a good movie has recently come out in the month of January and it's a Guy Ritchie film. For those who aren't familiar with Guy Ritchie, I'll give you a bit of a brief history on this Brit-man's career. Guy Ritchie got his big break directing a small film called Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, for which is a gangster comedy set in England. And he's struck gold with this kind of genre, with films like Snatch and Rocknrolla. But for some reason he thinks he can do something different with an unknown movie when he was married to Madonna, the live action Disney movie Aladdin where Will Smith is blue. Than make a TV adaption to The Man from Uncle (which was meh for my taste). Although Sherlock Holmes was okay, it wasn't up to par with some of his gangster comedies. So with his latest films starring Matthew McConaughey, Charlie Hunnam with Colin Farrell and Hugh Grant, I hope that Ritchie realizes that he should stick to what he's good at, but that's probably not going to happen.
                         Cannabis Baron, Mickey Pearson (Matthew McConaughey), is trying to get out of the business to spend more time with his lovely wife. The problem comes around when a shadowy private investigator (Hugh Grant) starts spying on Pearson, for a big time editor. Moreover a new power begins to pounce on Pearson's business. With the help of is number one Raymond (Charlie Hunnam) Pearson tries to put down the hunters, before all hell breaks loose. For there is only one rule in the jungle when the lion is hungry, he eats.
                          This definitely was a film I wanted to watch the moment the trailer came out. Though when I first saw it I was surprised Guy Ritchie himself was coming back to the genre he made fun again and that's as far as I'm going to go because I don't want to give so much crap on him making Aladdin because I had fun with this movie. Now back to the film, sure it's basically the same as Ritchie's past films but to be honest they're meant to be fun in a really great way. Especially when it comes to some of the twist and turns as the film went on, because I thought I had this film put together but no it actually surprised me especially when it came to the cast's performance. Matthew McConaughey for example does a great job playing the protagonist of the film who’s a bit of an antihero and more scary underneath and he does a great job at that. Both Charlie Hunnam and Colin Farrell does pull of great performances as well and they do it, in the best of their abilities. Hugh Grant is also great in this film to and let's not forget this was the same Brit that was in films back in the nineties that were in my eyes a bit meh, so it's kind of nice to see him play the opposite of all his usual roles he's done. So if you’re a fan of gangster comedies like this especially when it's a dark comedy. I would highly spend your money on this film and I promise you'll get your money's worth from it. And trust me I doubt there's going to be any other great movies coming out these next couple of months, but I could be wrong.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment