Thursday, October 10, 2024

The Mummy (1932)

 












                                         Well, it's Halloween season everyone to all of you fall nut jobs that are obsessed with Pumpkin Spice everything I just want to tell you from the bottom of my heart that it's just CINNAMON! Okay, that being said let's get to some Halloween themed movies, from being obsessed with the 1999 version of the Mummy and I've been familiar with a tone of the classic monster movies from the 1930's and I've seen a good well, maybe a few of them more popular ones are Dracula and Frankenstein as well as the Bride of Frankenstein and really I did watch Boris Karloff's the Mummy but then it was one of those films that I'd forgot at a young age. And re-watching the film for the first time is one of those films that you are not sure what to say.
                                         A team of British archaeologists led by Sir Joseph Whemple (Arthur Byron) discover the mummified remains of the ancient Egyptian prince Imhotep (Boris Karloff), along with the legendary scroll of Thoth. When one of the archaeologists recites the scroll aloud, Imhotep returns to life but escapes and starts a journey of bringing back the love of his life.
                                         I think the interesting thing about the classic monster movies from the 30's is that they belong to a study aspect of horror because in all honesty if I had my young niece who loves the horror movie genre she would be bored out of her mind, for which really I can't blame her because when I got serious in watching Dracula or Frankenstein even I realized that these movies where not scary. For which really that basically the reason why they belong in the golden age of Horror and really if we had a target audience between kids now and kids from the thirties it would most certainly be a different debate on what is scary. The surprising thing about the movie is the budget was 196,000 dollars for which really it's the Great Depression of course you'd not have a whole lot of money to do what you can do but really the fact that they we're able to accomplish great scenes in the movie is just outstanding and really cool I mean sure you can do that now with that kind of money but you're not sure if the movie is either a snuff film or an independent sensation. I will admit that the movie is fascination to watch but I still can't turn off that button of where is the scary parts and really that's probably the toughest part especially when it comes to these kinds of films because everyone praises these films and The Mummy is one of those films that came out of the thirties and re-watching the film I feel like it's not as good as I remembered it. Though in all fairness this is a movie from the thirties when we get older, we watch horror films that we loved as a kid and then we slowly see how not so scary it was. Now that being said I don't quite understand as to why we have a Boris Karloff in a mummified mummy that's back from the dead but still looks like a mummy I mean it's a great makeup look and great for some of those iconic close ups but wouldn't it be more convenient to have a regenerated Boris Karloff and still look terrifying? either way you can ask yourself that question and slowly begin to lose your mind. Now I'm a nineties kid and I will argue and say that the 1999 version of the Mummy is the greatest and better than the 32 version now that being said, I'd still watch the movie over and over again because it's one of those films that needs to be understood as a movie that people from the great depression looked at and can escape from their lives during that era of lows in America and I think all of these monsters back in the thirties really helped with that depression and personally that's something you should look for in terms of what good it brought hell even the films poster is in the top five for the most money paid for a movie poster and if you look at the poster on this review it's a great piece of art that most certainly should be cherished. I would highly recommend watching the 1932 version of the Mummy but not have your own kids watch it, not because it's scary or anything like that because of course it's not but in truth they wouldn't be ready for these kinds of movies and maybe when they slowly get older and love watching the horror genre then you can turn it on and watch them with your kids then. 
             

No comments:

Post a Comment