Wednesday, July 17, 2024

July Recommendation: Fantasia

 













                                      I'm going to Disney World in a couple of days with my brother, his kids and I figured with the vacation time looming I'd choose a film Walt Disney created that helped boost Mickey Mouse's stardom. And in situations like these it's always a blessing at times to have Disney + in your back pocket at times even though it's now combined with Hulu. Fantasia is one of those movies that I do in fact remember watching though I have some memory in watching the movie all I do remember is Mickey being a sorcerer, the cupids hooking up a Centaur and  Centaurettes then the so called animation of Hell, though through the course of the movie there's absolutely no dialogue from beginning to end, and being a young kid I thought it was cool seeing Mickey Mouse and that was pretty much it nothing much to say about the movie until now when I fully understand what the film is supposed to be.
                                      Released in 1940, represented Disney's boldest experiment to date. Bringing to life his vision of blending animated imagery with classical music. What had begun as a vehicle to enhance Mickey Mouse's career blossomed into a full-blown feature that remains unique in the history of animation.
                                      At a young age I'll probably admit that I never truly understood the film for which explains why it's been a long time since I watched the movie but now watching the film for the first time in a long while I finally begun to understand what the movie truly is. And really the interesting fact is that it's basically a silent film combined with classical pieces of music furthermore when you introduce this to your kids, you should know doubt have them watch the film and then wait a few years to see if they could truly understand what Fantasia is in their eyes, moreover if your kids continue to be a band nerd as well as fall in love with the orchestrated music then this would most certainly be a movie they most certainly come back and re watch again. Funny thing about Fantasia's release, was that the film itself flopped at the box office, for the most obvious reason was Fantasound a sound reproduction system developed by the engineers of Walt Disney Studios and RCA Corporation, later proved too be later expensive to install in every theater, for which really makes a lot of sense to me because when I watched Oppenheimer for the first time and all I remember was the music being more louder than the dialogue until I went to other theaters I begun to understand the dialogue more. Now, back to Fantasia, the film success later improved when it returned to theaters in 1969 and it became a sensation like no other that stands the test of time. The interesting fact about the movie is that during production, the animators were given no instructions for coloring, and Walt Disney instructed them to use any colors they wanted which was a first, and really that's a great way to even say to your animators to do whatever you want, and they will provide you something spectacular. I will say and this is a spoiler, so you can stop reading this if you've never seen Fantasia and want to watch the movie. Through the course of the movie, we get to a Greek Mythology setting and you get to a sequence where there a group of Centaurs and Centaurettes hook up rated G style if you know what I mean. And I'm not going to lie when I say this that when the centaurettes we're galloping out of the pool they were all topless NUDE, and there were no nipples involved and didn't giggle I don't believe but I was shocked that Disney and the animators were able to get away with it, and really all I can say was that it must of been awesome to be a animator back in the forties because you can't do that now. For the first time watching Fantasia, actually experiencing the movie at a mature age I will say that this was no doubt one of the greatest animated films of all time where the entire film is nothing but composing of orchestrated music, from famous composers and absolutely  no dialogue or sound needed and really has that unique blend of both a silent film and animated film and really when you've felt like you have seen every animated film now and watching this film was like a breath of fresh air something like you've never seen before and that's what makes Fantasia great also without this movie, Mickey Mouse wouldn't have the success and would be lost into nothing so, a lot of this movie gave the boost as well as success for Walt Disney furthermore became a multi-billion dollar empire it is now. For a Disney classic that still stands the test of time moreover will most certainly be one of those movies that will air constantly at the Disney Resort I'll probably watch all over again and for all of the parents who are annoyed by the Elsa's and the Moana's, I would most certainty recommend watching Fantasia on Disney + for your kids to watch, and if they don't understand it just tell them to bad and watch it again.
              



No comments:

Post a Comment