Wednesday, June 19, 2024

The Musketeer

 













                                       This is a film that I most certainly remember watching on cable back in the good old days and thought this was one of the coolest films I've ever seen, granted I was young, so I didn't know much. And as fate would have it, I found the film on Amazon for a reasonable price in terms of DVD purchase, I decided to it down and watch this forgotten gem that I most certainly haven't' seen in a long, long time. If your familiar with Alexandere Dumas classic tale of the Three Musketeer's via films that were released in the nineties Three Musketeers produced by Disney, Man in the Iron Mask and then this film for which I most certainly was probably the reason why we don't get more movies like this. For which is The Musketeer, a kind of experimental movie that was trying to create something new with fencing via combining martial arts. Oh, and the American Beauty babe is in the movie as well, Mena Suvari.
                                       Weds the classic swordplay and chivalry of Alexandre Dumas' "The Three Musketeers" with the gravity defying dazzle of Hong Kong action choreography. The film's fight sequences mix eastern and western styles, fusing 17th century swashbuckling with samurai action. 
                                       I was a little on the not so sure side, in terms of this going to be good as I remembered or will it be worth the purchase from Amazon. And deep down this was worth the purchase though some of the action sequences and character development were still on the lackluster side, but still had some interesting action sequences as well as Tim Roth being Tim Roth. And if you're not familiar with Tim Roth, he starred in a few Quentin Tarantino films moreover fought Edward Norton's Hulk in 2008's Incredible Hulk and I'm just going to leave it at that because sadly the man appeared in, She-Hulk and I bet the poor man hasn't got much work after that. Either way Tim Roth does a great job playing the main antagonist in the movie even though he does chew the scenery a little bit, and the man does know how to wield a sword hell he squared off with Liam Neeson in the film Rob Roy for which really that's another film I need to check out later this year. The idea of combining swashbuckling and samurai action is for certain something new and different and coming from a young man you've seen films like The Princess Bride and Disney's Three Musketeers, I'm most certainly intrigued to watch something like that at a young age, although there are some moments where it seems like the action sequences are a bit to cut for cut in terms of edits and your confused of where the swords are hitting each other or not, because they’re so fast but still is entertaining when you get to the final battle where they have the fencing swordplay and using ladders I got to say that was fun to watch. My biggest gripes I have with the movie is sure, the movie is titled The Musketeer which makes sense because the movie centers around d'Artagnan upon which is his complete origin story of how he becomes a Musketeer but the big three Musketeers Athos, Aramis and Porthos are a bit out of place as well as not truly based on the book granted, I'm only going by the 1993 the Three Musketeers and the Man in the Iron Mask. Like Aramis is supposed to be this Musketeer/priest, though he's just a musketeer, Athos is supposed to be the leader (it's true I looked it up) but he's barely in the movie and Porthos is supposed to be this comic relief but for some reasons is the loyal friend? And the voice of reason? Either way all three Musketeers were kind of lost in the shuffle in terms of being their true selves we've all seen in the movies. Mena Suvari does a good job as the love interest to up and coming Justin Chambers d'Artagnan, in fact I thought their chemistry together was cute a little cliché but still cute. I do like Catherine Deneuve's portrayal of the Queen of France for many reasons she's this royalty Queen but knows who to trust and more importantly has commoner blood which is what I like about her is she's both strong and dedicated as well as has a sense of humor. The Musketeer is a movie that has some interesting ideas of how to make a swashbuckling film epic and I always like those kinds of films trying something new even though the film fell on its face, I still dig the movie for what it is. And now I hope in future to come, Rotten Tomatoes at least give this movie a fair rating than 11 percent, hell at least 35 percent when it comes to this film. I would most certainly recommend this movie but it's going to be hard to find besides Amazon and I would most certainly imagine you all being lazy in bringing out your DVD player.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment